No announcement yet.

How to identify female descendants of a woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you simply use color tags? One of the options covers your use case exactly (i.e. marking female descendants and male end of lines). I'm using it specifically for mtDNA.
    Benoit Bousquet
    Reunion 14

Comment

Originally posted by bbousquet View Post
      Why don't you simply use color tags? One of the options covers your use case exactly (i.e. marking female descendants and male end of lines). I'm using it specifically for mtDNA.
      Ha! Perfect! Exactly the purpose of color tags. The only catch being finding the rule. But it's there, as you say.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Benoit, thanks, but the problem with using the "Female descendant line" selection in Color Tags is that you still get the results I got when I first tried this: female descendants of sons, who receive the mtDNA of their mothers but cannot pass it on. That gives you a lot of extraneous, irrelevant results.

I used Tim's method (genius!) and ended up with 76 in my list. When I went to Color Tags and chose Female Descendant Line, the Results list more than doubled to 163.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
          Benoit, thanks, but the problem with using the "Female descendant line" selection in Color Tags is that you still get the results I got when I first tried this: female descendants of sons, who receive the mtDNA of their mothers but cannot pass it on. That gives you a lot of extraneous, irrelevant results.

I used Tim's method (genius!) and ended up with 76 in my list. When I went to Color Tags and chose Female Descendant Line, the Results list more than doubled to 163.
          Well, the males are meaningful as in they do carry their mother's mtDNA (although they obviously don't pass it down). We obviously have different needs and, thankfully, Reunion usually is flexible enough to provide a way to accomplish most things. In the end, what's important is you found a way to get the result you were hoping for.
          Benoit Bousquet
          Reunion 14

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post

Susan, you may want to try this again. I tried this method and I got the results I anticipated: female lines down to and including the first male in the line, and no descendants of that male. I specifically used a line that had sons who had daughters and it didn't mark the daughters.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
            X