Standardized Place Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standardized Place Names

Brand new user. Recently imported GEDCOM from FTM12. My place names had been cleaned up and standardized to FTM's specs. The standardization in Reunion seems to be a little different, but I wonder if it really matters. Using the example of Lake (county), Ohio, the place names that I've imported do not (with few exceptions) carry the word County, so the description would be Lake, Ohio, USA. (1) I notice that in Reunion that description might be Lake County, OH. Do these descriptive differences make any difference when it comes to mapping or use within Reunion? (2) All of my place names use USA. Does it matter to Reunion if USA, United States or no country designation is used (US locations only)? Should I standardize using one description?

You can enter place names however you'd like in Reunion - any standardization of your names is up to you, Reunion does not enforce a specific standard for place names.

Note that you may find, when geocoding, that Google (which we use for geocoding) could give better results with more specific place names.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Something I have noticed in Ancestry trees which may/may not be connected with FTM's standardization is that for British places I regularly see place name formats which have only come into existence in the last 50 years, generally as a result of local government reorganistion in 1974 for early (17th century etc) facts/events

Comment

Working...
      X