GEDCOM and File transfer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEDCOM and File transfer question

Hi all. I'm returning to genealogy and Reunion after a good few years break and trying to clean up my existing data and put a few better entry systems in place. Does anyone have experience sharing GEDCOM files and the issues arising? I started making my own 'event' fields and 'source fields' to suit my records, but then started to wonder if this was a good idea as they don't have GEDCOM names. If I gave someone else my files so they could import them into their software, I wondered how badly that might turn out. Would it be better to just use the preset fields and anything different, adapt with notes or use 'free form', in the case of Source fields. Any ideas would great. Cheers.

I don't think there is a best way for everyone. I gather you are happy with your own event and source fields until you start to envisage sharing your data with a non-Reunion-user. Like you, I have certain ways of doing things that may not fit into Gedcom standards, but I decided long ago to live with that. It depends on personal circumstances. I have three close family members with whom I do or might share, but happily they are all Mac users who have (or can be given) Reunion. So far, nobody outside of that has wanted my stuff. By far the most likely reader of my Reunion file is me later on. So I have no strong reason to consider gedcomabilty.

Comment

Working...
    X