Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married, divorced and remarried same spouse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married, divorced and remarried same spouse.

Something new for me, but possibly others will have come across it. I have a couple who married, divorced a year later and then remarried six months after that. I don't yet know why, or the story behind this, but right now I'm wondering how to enter this in Reunion. other than making notes.

Fortunately there are no children here, and no intervening marriages, but if there had been children of the same couple but from their first and second marriages I wouldn't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Martin

You used to be able to enter a fake marriage, then you could create a second marriage for the remarried couple. Then delete the fake marriage.

Not sure if that still works. If it doesn't (and probably even if it does), just enter the information in the marriage notes.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Hi Martin,

What we generally recommend is creating custom events via:

Reunion -> Preferences… , Fields, Family, Events

To hold this information. E.g. create a marriage event and perhaps a divorce event.

Then, add that event under the Events tab of the Edit Family screen (the screen where you normally go to enter marriage information) and input the first marriage and the divorce into those fields, then enter the most recent marriage under the Marriage tab.

Alternatively you could put the most recent marriage into the fields under the tab, then the first marriage under the tab if you’d prefer — but most people do the former.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

What we generally recommend is creating custom events via:

Reunion -> Preferences… , Fields, Family, Events
        Mark,
        I know how to make a custom event, but what do you put into the blank fields in the form, especially the GEDCOM code, for a marriage and a divorce event? Are there special rules for the codes? I'm in the same situation as Martin.
        Lives in Texas
        Using R12 on iMac 2015, running Mojave; RTouch on iPad
        Researching SACKS; FARNSWORTH; HUNTER; KADERABEK; HOLY; CERNY; and SUCHOVSKY

Comment

The GEDCOM tag for Marriage is MARR

The GEDCOM tag for Divorce is DIV

If you ask Google for "gedcom tags list" you'll get plenty of results of such lists.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Roger, is the protocol to include an underscore "_" in front of a custom tag; so "_MARR" and "_DIV"? Or is it okay without the underscore because these are GEDCOM-recognized tags?
            Lives in Texas
            Using R12 on iMac 2015, running Mojave; RTouch on iPad
            Researching SACKS; FARNSWORTH; HUNTER; KADERABEK; HOLY; CERNY; and SUCHOVSKY

Comment

"MARR" and "DIV" are standard GEDCOM phrases for marriage and divorce, respectively - so they don't get an underscore in front.
              --
              Eric Van Beest
              Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Originally posted by j2sacks View Post
                Roger, is the protocol to include an underscore "_" in front of a custom tag; so "_MARR" and "_DIV"? Or is it okay without the underscore because these are GEDCOM-recognized tags?
                The convention is only to use an underscore as the first character for a tag that you make up yourself, that isn't in the list of GEDCOM tags.

Roger
                Roger Moffat
                http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
                X