New to Reunion12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Reunion12

Hi, I am a beginner at Reunion12, I use a Mac computer and have finally finished the family tree enough to share with other family members, none of which have any information.
    Obviously they will have to purchase & download Reunion12 -
    1. how or what are the steps involved to transfer my family tree information (Gedcom file,photos/links/resource) to their computers, some use a Mac but other family members use a PC. I have a seperate file on my desktop with all the certificates & photo's as well which seem to link to Reunion12.
    2. I sense it is more complicated to transfer Gedcom file from my Mac to PC?
    Apologies if these questions seem too basic, but for me anyway, it is often the starting point that if done incorrectly can cause all sorts of problems.

"Obviously they will have to purchase & download Reunion12"
    Really ??
    I have a similar situation in that I regularly send outputs from my Reunion database to family members who are neither Reunion users nor likely to be. Clearly I don't know what your intentions are but I wouldn't dream of suggesting anyone in my family also needs Reunion. Isn't it the result of what you've done that your family members might be interested in ? Do they really also need the mechanism for how you did that ??
    I find that two types of output are more than adequate for me to keep my family updated : colourful and attractive descendant charts which include a preferred picture for each person ; and a Family History Report. This gives all the details you've entered for as many generations as you want. And either or both can easily be updated when you need to do so.
    Have you experimented with the other reports that Reunion 12 can produce ? There are about a dozen different ones. You can also export lists of all your sources ; and all your multimedia, photos etc
    Rather than getting involved with file transfers and Gedcom and Mac to PC issues, why not send a few charts and reports to your family and see how they are received? If people are really keen and say they'd like the program, well hey you have a result. If not they are up to date and you've kept them informed, without having given them the headache of learning new software etc
    HTH ?
    Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
    Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
    Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

Comment

You will want to share GEDCOMs with them if they are themselves going to enter or change data. But if you just want to share information with them, you can email them pdf files of charts, or MS Word files of reports. VDB.docx VDB.pdf
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

In Reports, choose Web Project. You may want to skim the manual section on this first. This creates an HTML file. Probably at least 95% of your family members have either a smart phone, a tablet or a computer --- and it doesn't matter if they are Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, etc.... All of these devices can read the the HTML file with any browser software in existence. (Safari, Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc...) This is what I do with family who want it on a device but aren't into doing genealogy themself. Otherwise, I will do like Rupert. I also trade GEDCOMs occasionally with several cousins who are doing research.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thank you guys, so glad I asked the question as all of the above answers have helped ALOT.
          Appreciate the prompt reply as well.

Comment

Send charts which were "File > Save Graphic File" selecting PDF format. If the file is heavy (especially when photos are included), go through "TinyPDF" to reduce the PDF chart by 70-90%. PDF chart is usually enough for family members. If not, complete with one of the proposed "report" which you can also save as PDF before sending.

Comment

Working...
            X