Adding a second gedcom over another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a second gedcom over another

Newbie Reunion user here, first post. Verdict after using it for 3 days: FABULOUS.

I recently was using Family Tree Builder linked to My Heritage, but it disappeared from my mac (Catalina) when I quit MH. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Gedcom of 589 entries and easily imported it into Reunion. I'm busy copying more complete entries from my real tree on WikiTree, no problem there.

Here's my problem. My real tree on WikiTree has entries not in MH. Can I import a Wikitree Gedcom over the FTB one if I only want to add a dozen people? Or can I get a limited Gedcom and do that. Will there be conflicts?

New Brunswick Canada, researching Scotland: Adam, Mark, Moir; England: Gordon, Pomeroy; Ireland: Mark

Originally posted by cigadam View Post
    Here's my problem. My real tree on WikiTree has entries not in MH. Can I import a Wikitree Gedcom over the FTB one if I only want to add a dozen people? Or can I get a limited Gedcom and do that. Will there be conflicts?
    I'm not sure if you can only download a small section of your data from Wikitree. (Perhaps another Reunion user knows for certain?) If that is possible, it may be the easiest way to move forward.

(Note: before importing anything into your existing Reunion family file, I recommend making a backup copy of it. This is done by choosing File -> Save a Backup Copy and clicking Save.)

Then, import that small GEDCOM file into your existing Reunion family file (from the FTB GEDCOM). Afterward, if there are records duplicated caused by that import, you may merge those duplicated records using Reunion's Match and Merge People feature. (I.e., choose File -> Match and Merge People.) I highly recommend reading the manual section on "matching and merging people" for additional information before actually using this feature. This will provide information about how it works, what gets merged, etc. To access that section in the manual, choose Help -> Contents and search for "match merge."

If there is no duplication caused by the import, you would need to "link" the imported people to whomever they belong in the existing file. (I.e., link a parent to a child, link a husband to a wife, etc.)

However, if you need to download the entire Wikitree file as a GEDCOM, you may want to consider importing it into a NEW Reunion family file. Then, mark the appropriate entries in that family file and import the marked records into your existing Reunion family file (from the FTB GEDCOM). Information about how to mark records in your Reunion family file can be found in the manual by searching for "mark people." Information about how to import marked records in one Reunion family file into another Reunion family file can be found in the manual by searching for "import family file marked."

Afterward, if there are records duplicated caused by that import, you may merge those duplicated records using Reunion's Match and Merge People feature.

If no records are duplicated, link the appropriate people together (as mentioned above).

Or, finally, if you know the names of the 12 people (in Wikitree) who need to be added to your existing Reunion family file, open that Reunion family file and manually add them.

I hope you find one of the suggestions mentioned here helpful in deciding how you would like to move forward
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks for you help, Deb. It will be much easier to just add the missing people. Also, WikiTree exports GEDcoms in a different way the the others, so that makes it easier for me to decide!

Comment

Working...
      X