Web Projects and Windows machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Projects and Windows machines

I'd like to share some of my research with my children who have Windows machines. Can I make a Web Project, send it to them via DropBox, and then have them open it on whatever browser they're using on their windows machine ? I've tried but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have something wrong or is it not possible ?

Is the problem their being unable to open the project? Is the problem with their inability to download the project? Or what is the problem? Please give some specific information.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks for the response Bob,

I put the folder in Dropbox and emailed a link. He accessed dropbox using the link and downloaded the folder with all the subfolders included. He's using Windows (10, I think) and Google Chrome. He double-clicked on the ( wc_toc.html ) file, it opened, but only in what, from his description to me, looked like a simple text file with some hot links that went nowhere. In particular, clicking the 'Home' hot link did NOT take him to the 'Family Card' on the browser.

Comment

That should have worked. Off the top, I can think of two possibilities. The toc is where one gets started.

One is that the project file got damaged during his download thus making one or more links inoperable. Solution would be to have him trash and then download a fresh copy from your Dropbox to see if that one will work. If not, recreate the project and put it in Dropbox as a replacement and have him try again.

Second is that he may be using an old version of Chrome. There was a major update to Chrome in September 2018. If his version number is smaller than 69.0.3497, he should update his Chrome.

Comment

Thanks Bob. As soon as the current virus restrictions are eased I’ll get the file to him on a stick and see how that goes. You mention Chrome, probably because I did. I tried it again this morning with another son and he was using Edge and had similar problems. Are there any browsers for Windows machines that are definitely in or out that you know of ?

Comment

Process of elimination indicates the problem may be with the file. e.g. Different browsers on different machines; same problem. Browsers across Macs and Windows -- same brands, same good dependability and small variations in presentation.

If you would like, do a small project like just 2 or 3 generations. That will keep the file down to a size that can be emailed as an attachment. Then send that small file either to Leister or to me. I have Macs, Windows and Chromebook in my house and can see what happens when I try to open it.

One other thought, because you mentioned using a stick, how big is the file that you have been sending?

Comment

Thanks again Bob. It's only a small file, around 400KB. I deliberately kept it small so that there would be little time delay in opening it. I was going to put it on a stick, not because of its size, but because my mail server (Google) won't send it simply attached to an email; when I try it returns a message 'This message was blocked because its content presents a potential security issue'.

Thanks for the offer to try to open the folder and folder for me. I've already sent it off to Leicester last night and they're usually pretty prompt in responding, so I'll take a rain cheque on your offer if I may.

Thanks for your continuing interest.

Warwick

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick Dilley View Post
                ............., but because my mail server (Google) won't send it simply attached to an email; when I try it returns a message 'This message was blocked because its content presents a potential security issue'.........

Warwick
                If you left the name of the file as "Web Project", that is the stopper. Solution: Zip the file and send the ".zip" file attached to your email. (Been there; done that!)

Comment

You said earlier that "He double-clicked on the ( wc_toc.html ) file, it opened, but only in what, from his description to me, looked like a simple text file with some hot links that went nowhere." You might want him to drag it to his browser rather than double-clicking on it. It sounds like it is opening in an editor window rather than a browser.

But yeah, zip up all the files into one package before sending them.

Comment

Success !

I've been in contact with Mark Harrison at Leicester and he suggested that the problem might be that neither of my sons had actually installed the Dropbox app and they were trying to open the 'toc' file from the web. That was indeed the problem, and one has now installed the app and successfully accessed the files. Problem solved.

Thanks for your suggestions, Bob and baddorfdeb, I had discovered that zipping the folder would allow me to email it, but that was a folder of only a few files. While I could have emailed that, I'll probably need Dropbox transfer if I am to move much bigger files.

( Why aren't all software support units and user forums as user friendly and helpful as Reunion's ? )

Regards, and stay safe.

Warwick

Comment

I do have a theory about your helpful and friendly question! It's that I believe that the great majority of genealogy software users range in age from 50+ to way over 50. Thus, I think the general maturity of members is way past the hothead remarks, bad language, etc... that one finds in more general forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                        I do have a theory about your helpful and friendly question! It's that I believe that the great majority of genealogy software users range in age from 50+ to way over 50. Thus, I think the general maturity of members is way past the hothead remarks, bad language, etc... that one finds in more general forums.
                        Start a discussion on politics and you might have to eat those words.
                        rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Working...
                        X