Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marriage record only shows for husband in family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage record only shows for husband in family tree?

Hello,

I am new to Reunion 12, and to any genealogy software, so I don't know the protocol. I entered my marriage information for myself and my husband in the little box above our names in My Family File. When I switch to the family tree view, the data only shows for my husband and not for the wife. Is that usual? If there is a different way to enter this to it also shows for the wife? I'd like to know before I start adding all the ancestor information I have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Cari

If it looks like this, you are OK. It is normal for the marriage data to show only on the male side in box charts.

2020-01-07_00-02-31.png

Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Bob. Is this usual in all genealogy programs? I’m rather disappointed that the wife’s marriage(s) won’t show up in the family tree view if this is the view I’m going to be sharing with family. I think it will show up another views? And I guess I will have to find out what happens when I enter female relative’s marriage to another woman. Will it show up in neither of their data?

Comment

??? Possibly I have misunderstood which "view" you are referring to. You said view; I presumed you are referring to the Tree View and the screenshots are from that view. Tree View does show multiple marriages for both he and she. When you get into charts, some do and some don't.

As to you other question, yes, most genealogy applications present in pretty much the same way.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Cari,

Where the marriage information appears and whether or not other spouses of that person show in the Tree View depends on a variety of things.

In most cases, the marriage information will appear in the husband's box (or, in the case of same-sex marriage's, whichever person appears on the left in the Family View). However, in the case of female descendants of the source of the Tree View, the marriage information will appear in the wife's box.

As for multiple marriages, those will appear in the Tree View if the person with multiple marriages is a descendant of the source of the Tree View. For example, if you navigate to the parents of the woman with multiple marriages, those marriages will show.

In other words, I believe you might get the results you'd like as far as seeing the multiple marriages and the placement of the marriage information by navigating to the parents of the woman in question and then going to the Tree View.

Having said all that, I would recommend considering creating a Relative chart (under Charts in the Navbar at left) instead, selecting the woman with multiple marriage for the Who option before creating the chart. You may find the results from that chart more to your liking. The Tree View is more intended as a secondary (to the Family View) method of navigating the family file, while the Charts are more comprehensive and more modifiable.

Note that you can modify various settings for the Relative chart by selecting Define Layouts... from the Layout menu (shown after selecting Charts / Relative).

HTH
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, Bob and Mark. I feel encourage now to go forward with this program and that when I do I will find different ways to access and present the information. Reunion seems like a complicated program, but I can see the reason for it, since families are complicated too. Marriage and lack of it is kind of a big deal for the women in my family so it is important to me to be able to record it and have it show up when I want it to. Now I see I have options, and I'm looking forward to going deeper and learning the ins and outs of this software. Thanks for the great support forum!

Comment

Working...
            X