Printing the manual or portions thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing the manual or portions thereof

I'm facilitating a SIG (Special Interest Group) for a local Genealogy Society and would like to print portions of the manual to discuss with the group. For the life of me I can't see how. I know it is right in front of me and I am overlooking the obvious. Please point me in the correct direction. Thanks.

I found it -- like I said, right in front on my nose. For anyone else reading this thread: Just cursor down to the bottom of the area which you want to print and simply File>Print. FYI, there is no pdf file available for the entire contents.

Comment

Darillyn: One doesn't need to cursor to the bottom or use the File menu. As long as the help page you want is the active window, just do a Command - P. If you want a PDF, pop up the PDF button in the lower left corner of the print dialog window and make your choice.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Bob, the first attempt at printing only allowed the first page, but using the keystroke command does include all pages and now the File>Print does also. Strange. I guess the egg on my face obstructed my eyesight. Thanks for the observation and help.

Comment

Don't consider it eggs.... I'm an old IT admin, retired many years, who is in the habit of figuring out how to do things in the least number of steps. And that is what made me start buying Macs a long time ago. While Windows has improved much over the years, back then it was very literally that the same task that took seven steps on a PC could be done in three steps on a Mac.

Comment

I like to review and make notes on manuals on my ipad in the comfort of my easy chair. Has anyone posted a full pdf of the Reunion 12 manual?
            ``````````````````````````````
            Grant

Comment

All of us have the necessary tools to create a PDF copy of the manual -- print to PDF as described above then drag each into one Preview document to stitch them together. However, it might be a good idea to check in with Leister staff first to make sure one is not running afoul of any copywrite or other legal stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                All of us have the necessary tools to create a PDF copy of the manual -- print to PDF as described above then drag each into one Preview document to stitch them together.
                Thanks Bob. That will probably be a slow and tedious task due to the number of pages in the manual. Something suitable for a dark and stormy day this winter.
                Grant

Comment

Actually, I think that I could do this in about two hours more or less. It is not a page by page project. It is section by section.

There are about 45-50 sections. Command P then save as PDF then navigate back to table of contents then navigate to next section.... shouldn't be more than a minute or so each. That's hour # 1. Open first section (How to Use the Manual) in Preview and make sure the sidebar is showing. Locate icon for next section's PDF (Installing and Getting Started). Drag icon into the sidebar below the last page of the first section.

Repeat about 45-50 times. That should be most of hour # 2. By the way, the resulting document is completely searchable and works just fine on all of your devices.

Comment

Use Adobe Acrobat to convert the HTML-manual of Reunion into a PDF. This way, the links are even maintained with the PDF. From there you can print it in one go.

Regards and Season Greetings
                    SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
                    Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
                    Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Yes, that would very likely work well also and could also be done with PDFpen Pro. However, I would strongly suspect that Leister has that manual password protected and you probably need the actual code to do the conversion. While I have lots of HTML experience, I am not experienced with this particular conversion and I am making an educated guess that one would need to access the coding to make the conversion. Good guess or bad guess?

Comment

Well I created pdfs of each section, over 70 in total, and merged them together into one single pdf using Preview. The full manual is now loaded into iBooks. This does not provide html links as the manual does within Reunion 12 but it does provide me with an alternative means of viewing the manual. So now I can review the manual at my leisure whether in my easy chair or elsewhere.

As Bob suggested the whole process took about 2 hours, a bit tedious, but easy.
                        Grant

Comment

Yes, that would very likely work well also and could also be done with PDFpen Pro. However, I would strongly suspect that Leister has that manual password protected and you probably need the actual code to do the conversion. While I have lots of HTML experience, I am not experienced with this particular conversion and I am making an educated guess that one would need to access the coding to make the conversion. Good guess or bad guess?
                          Bob,
                          Very bad guess! There is no need to access any encoding. By the time you wrote this, you could have tried it out.
                          Happy New Year.
                          Reiner

Comment

Originally posted by Reiner L. Sauer View Post
                            ...bad guess! There is no need to access any encoding. By the time you wrote this, you could have tried it out...
                            OK, I may be making a bad guess on the coding access. However... I did explore seeing if I could open the manual with anything other than Reunion. Unable to locate a document that is the manual. (Including exploring the application's Contents Package.) One cannot copy/paste the text either.

Have you actually converted this manual? Whether Acrobat or PDFpen Pro, one has to have the HTML file to work with. It may be that this manual is not HTML.

Comment

OK, I may be making a bad guess on the coding access. However... I did explore seeing if I could open the manual with anything other than Reunion. Unable to locate a document that is the manual. (Including exploring the application's Contents Package.) One cannot copy/paste the text either.

Have you actually converted this manual? Whether Acrobat or PDFpen Pro, one has to have the HTML file to work with. It may be that this manual is not HTML.
                              Yes, this is no speculation. It really works! Here's how to do it. Either copy/drag the manual from the resources of Reunion (ctrl-click Reunion 12 etc.) or download the latest resource from https://www.leisterpro.com/doc/v12/a...ltresource.php
                              Next, open Acrobat Pro and create PDF from Website. If you don't have the appropriate PDF-creation software, you can download the 720-page manual via this link:

Enjoy!
                              Reiner

Comment

Working...
                              X