Separating to edit - then combining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separating to edit - then combining

I have three pretty extensive data batches, two from other family members. I have my list already entered into Reunion. The other two sources are on paper. My preferences is to separate dad's family tree (of which I have about 87 names, dates, docs. A quick glance at the other data sources shows some redundancies, some conflicts and some new data. My preference is to do this entry/editing on a different, much smaller and more manageable tree from the master (of which I have 5 backups) so that I don't screw up my tree of 1645 people. Both the other sources begin with eldest ancestor (1769) to newest (1908). It makes more sense to me to start with oldest and keep adding with an eye on alpha list when dups/conflicts appear and make correction/deletion at that time. Then re-combine dad's to the master file and sleep better. Make sense?

It depends on the amount of overlap the trees have. The more overlap there is, the better it is to work in one single tree to avoid duplicate people. Merging separate trees which have significant overlap can be done (if your data is good) but the more overlap there is, the more likely merging leads to mistakes.

To offset your concern about working in your master tree, consider this: you have a backup of your current master, and if you record the date and time that you 'froze' your master and started adding people from a different tree into the master, you can search for date changed of these people and mark/flag/delete them - as long as you don’t edit any of the original people in the master tree.

For my part, when working on branches that are not yet in my master tree (65,000 people), I do work on these separately if there is no too much overlap and merge them as soon as I am satisfied with the data (including dates and places). When importing the new branch, I mark them so that straight after I can Match/Merge marked people with unmarked people. I’ve done that once for a branch with 'many duplicates' and let’s just say I am not going to do that again. Now I restrict separate new branches to < 400 people.
    --
    Eric Van Beest
    Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

I wonder what is the best way to import a small Reunion gedcom into a master file and keep the imported source numbers synched to the same sources (and their corresponding numbers) in the master? (I was smart enough to create the small Reunion file as a copy and then delete all the records, just leaving the sources. I then entered the new family members and sourced the information normally. But, when I import into the master file, it takes those existing sources and adds them at the end of my master sources; even though they already exist with lower numbers! Now, I have duplicate sources.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Nutter View Post
        Now, I have duplicate sources.)
        You can match and merge sources to merge the higher numbered ones into the original ones.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
        X