Advice needed on Changing a Relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on Changing a Relationship

I'm relatively new to Reunion. I find it very intuitive. However I've come across new information in my family tree which alters some relationships, and cannot figure out how to have this reflected in Reunion. All advice welcome. Here is a summary of the issue:
    Peter and Margaret were legally married in 1886. Margaret's son Roy was always passed off as Peter's child, however the family has always been aware that Roy was illegitimate. Recent DNA testing through Ancestry has confirmed that Roy's birth father is a completely different man. Let's call him Albert. (Albert and Margaret were never married.)
    Since Peter and Margaret were legally married, I need to keep that 'husband-wife' relationship intact. However, I need to disconnect Roy from Peter, as there is no biological relationship, while keeping him as Margaret's son. How do I do this? I suspect its a multi-step process.
    As an addendum to this, I will eventually want to create a new 'father' for Roy, one that is not connected by marriage to Margaret.

To fix this in Reunion you need to do the following:

On the family card for Peter and Margaret, drag Roy's button to the Clipboard. This keeps him in the database, but removes him as a child of Peter and Margaret

Still on the same family card, click the brown + sign above Margaret's name and choose "Add New Spouse..."

Give this person a name like "Roy's Dad" or something so you know who it is when you don't actually know who it is

Now go to the Clipboard and drag the link for Roy onto the child area below "Roy's Dad" and Margaret. This will make Roy the child of Roy's Dad and Margaret.

In the button above Roy's Dad and Margaret, click that and then you can set the relationship to "Unmarried".

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Although there is no biological relationship between Peter and Roy, there was a legal relationship and hence you can argue it is still Peter's son.

Reunion does allow for people to have multiple parents. What you can do is create an additional spouse for Margaret – i.e. Albert – as Roger explained. Then, instead of moving Roy from Peter & Margaret to Albert & Margaret, do the following:
      * go to the relationship of Albert & Margaret
      * in the People sidebar, find Roy
      * drag Roy into the children box of Albert & Margaret

Reunion will ask you if you want to add Roy (since he is already part of a family) and then wether you want to move or duplicate Roy. Move will move him from Peter & Margaret to Albert & Margaret; duplicate will assign him as a child of Albert & Margaret as well as Peter & Margaret.

I would also suggest to add a "Child Status" called "De Jure Child", as legally Roy is the de jure child of Peter. The relationship of Albert & Margaret is Unmarried, as Roger explained, and you can set the Child Status of Roy there as 'Illegitimate'. (Children have a different status in different relationships if they are the product of more than one).

In the Notes section for Roy, it would serve to remark how this fits together.
      --
      Eric Van Beest
      Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Similar situation regarding designation of relationship. Child "T" is biological child of Mother's first husband (H1) and was legally adopted by her second husband (H2).[INDENT]If I duplicate him, does showing him with status of adopted (M & H2) cause errors with records or charts? The adoption was only associated with H2, not the mother.
        Will he (T) show in both families on the tree view- and will T's descendants now also show in multiple places or just under the H1 line?[/INDENT]

Comment

TreeSquirrel:–

Duplicating the person to another relationship should not cause errors as far as I can determine.

T will only show up _twice_ in the tree view if the primary persons displayed are the parents of the mother of T. Oddly, yes, their entire relationships would be duplicated.
          In Descendant chats, T and their tree downards would also be displaced twice unless you choose to 'Remove Duplicates'. T’s duplicate entry wil be flagged, and T’s subtree will be displayed only underneath the first relationship of the mother,
          --
          Eric Van Beest
          Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Working...
          X