Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places.

Hi Everbody,

I'm a newbie to Reunion 12 ,and Reunion Talk.

I have been researching my family history for almost 30 years and I have gathered a lot of information but Inevitably, I have now hit the proverbial brick walls. I live in England, my father was Irish, my mother English, so that is where most of my research has been.

Obviously, with a new programme I have a lot to learn, so apologies now for all the dumb questions I shall no doubt be asking in the future.

Places. I have a residence to enter which is 10, Lichfield Street, Handsworth, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

In the sample family in the Places "box" it simply puts the city, ie Boston, New York etc, Other software I have used has a box called Places were I would enter Birmingham, Warwickshire. Then they have a second box called Address, were I would enter 10, Lichfield Street, Handsworth. I can't find that Address box in Reunion.

I feel I am chasing my tail because not to enter ,for instance, the church where Jack Kennedy was married, is such an obvious omission that I'm sure it's staring me in the face but I can't see it.

Or, is it simply the case, I put all of it into the Places box?

For completeness you should put it all in the Place box.

As in your example, separate all of the elements by commas, and then Reunion's Reverse Place Sort will put all addresses in order by country, state/province/county, etc down to street, especially if you maintain the , between the house number and street name.

Doing this also gives the greatest chance that geocoding the places will work accurately.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

You can put the entire address in the 'Place' box. As long as the line item entries are separated by spaces, Reunion will figure out the order as theKiwi has stated. However, in doing so you will quickly generate an unwieldly number of places.

GEDCOM transfer files typically believe a location has the format: Place, County, State/Province, Country - and I have stuck to that as much as possible. For the street name, house number and/or apartment number, I use the 'Description' box. This keeps the actual number of 'Places' for me down to a manageable number. And in the larger context, I don't miss the complete address.

It can be daunting as to what logical system to adopt. Fortunately, Reunion does make it easy to maintain an overview of your places and the reverse name sort is especially helpful. Also, I mentioned to "try" to stick to Place, County, State/Province, Country order but for many cases this breaks down. The Prussian part of Germany 100 year ago used the hierarchy: Place, County, Kreis, Regierungsbezirk, Province, Land, Country. Even omitting the Regierungsbezirk leaves you with 6 levels...
      --
      Eric Van Beest
      Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Working...
      X