Converting Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Sources

Once again I am reconsidering how I previously entered sources. Now that I know better how to write citations, I have a million thoughts running through my head how to move forward. I was previously using some general templates that I had set up with source fields for each source type. I realize now, that they aren't structured correctly.

Is there a way to convert those source fields so instead they appear in the free-form text area instead? I just think it will be easier to fix them moving forward, and that the free-form text fields will give me more flexibility.

thanks.

Reviving this post - can anyone help?
    Last edited by eventide; 19 November 2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Reviving this post - can anyone help?

Comment

I don't know anyway to do this all at once. But you could work through them slowly, one at a time. Go to the bottom of the source window and click the arrow to open the preveiw. Now you'll see a clipboard at the right above the preview. Click that to copy the preview. Now you can paste it into the free-form area. You'll then have to delete each of the fields one at a time.

It isn't quick and easy, but since no one else has offered ideas, it may be the best way to do it.
        Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Thanks Kim, I appreciate you getting back to me. I was afraid that would be the answer. I have over 1000 sources...sigh.

Comment

Unlike with Individual fields, there is no way to move data in a Source field to another field or consolidate data. So, we’re rather stuck to doing this by hand.

To get to ready-formatted free-form source text, you could create a web project report using only sources. This generally outputs the sources in the correct order although there is some weirdness going on sometimes. At least the formatting of the sources is consistent between them. Have this sources file opened in Safari and copy the formatted text over into the corresponding free-form box of the source in Reunion.

The nuclear option would be to export the family file as GEDCOM, flattening the structured sources, and creating a new file using this export file.
            --
            Eric Van Beest
            Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Thanks Eric. That does make it a little easier.

Comment

Working...
              X