Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to show a possibilty of one of 3 fathers for someone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to show a possibilty of one of 3 fathers for someone???

Hi-I have found out through DNA that one of my cousin's father is not her bio father. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 brothers. Is there a way to show that each one could be her father? Right now it shows uncle for 2 of the 3. Or is this something to just let it be like it is? Thank you, Judy
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Hi Judy, genealogy is a hobby and it should never hurt anyone. It would not be fair or kind to publicly label three men as possible fathers to your cousin. I created a new field on my family page and I call it - Researching. It is my secret field. I can enter anything in that field that I am unsure about or that is confidential. For My Eyes Only (FMEO). I never mark FMEO as a “print” field when doing reports. It’s only for me. To create this field…
    With Reunion open to your cousin’s page, go to the top of your screen, click on Reunion and slide down, to click on preferences. There are three views at the top of the screen (children, couple, parents) - Click on Couple. Below choose Fields Under the Couple Button. At the bottom of the box is +Add Field - click on this and add and name your FMEO field. Once it shows on your family view preferences, you can drag it up on down to make it show where you want. I keep mine under the Note field.

Comment

So this field you created does not come through in a gedcom?

Genealogy is a hobby, one that I am addicted to. My intention in doing what I did is to have some way of following her line of ancestors.

Comment

Information in the new field is totally confidential. Having it appear in a gedcom would defeat its purpose.

Comment

I have put children under a parent called Unknown and put Unknown under the Grandparent whose name the children have. You could also create an unlinked person named Unknown and add children underneath. You can put theories of the identify of Unknown in a note.

It's a very interesting situation, and people are facing this more often because of genetic genealogy. There are a lot of issues, privacy of living individuals, what is a family, what does genealogy record, and so on. Some people might be just as hurt that you knew and didn't say anything, some people really could care less. Each situation is unique.

David
          Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
          in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Comment

Yes, you are so right gilbertdh, every situation is different and with the advent of DNA testing, that just adds to the mix.

Comment

Working...
            X