Multiple spelling for surname...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple spelling for surname...

Hi-I am sure this has been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I have a surname that has multiple spellings-I am sure that EVERYONE does. I am limiting myself to 2 spellings in the surname field. For instance, for Young, I have YOUNG [JUNG]. That works well so far. But then I have the Moyer/Moyers/Meyer/Meyers/Myer/Myers line and I am not sure how to handle them. Ideally I would like to search for a Meyer and have all those different variations come up in the People list but I don't know how to do it. They seem to be interchangeable. At least as far as I have found so far. Thank you for any suggestions! Have a good Monday. Judy
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Hi Judy,

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
    Ideally I would like to search for a Meyer and have all those different variations come up...
    I'd recommend looking into the Soundex numbers - open the manual (Help -> Contents) and search "soundex" (no quotes); the first result will explain what these are and how to use them. Note that you'll see the Soundex number in the Name tab of the Edit Person screen.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

OK. I have this problem in my Dutch family tree. (DeJung) (the young). I would recommend that you make a surname table of all possibilities of a given spelling of that surname, and at same time normalize your data to no more than two (possibly three) versions within your database! As long as you alert your readers of the surname variations, you can consolidate (normalize) the variant spellings. The point is that as long as you detail your rational for spelling variations, your choice of ‘OFFICIAL’ surname usage does not matter.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Thank you both. Mark-I will check into the Soundex. AE Palmer-Thank you for posting your comment. I am sure that I am not the only one that has wrestled with this dilemma. Judy

Comment

I suggest Arnold's procedure, with a slight twist. Always put the 'standard' spelling first [I suggest having just one], then follow with whatever variant data shows that family used. An unlimited number of spellings can be used, but first search on the 'standard' version.

We counted 21 spelling variants for one of my families, for people demonstrably related.

Soundex returns many far more common surnames than mine, swamping any data with Noise.
          -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
          MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
          MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Thank you, Paul. Still pondering...

Comment

For what it’’s worth: one of my lines is Calhoun. I use that spelling for all those in the USA, Colhoun for those in Ireland, and Colquhoun for those in Scotland. In actuality there is some overlap but this helps me find them in the people list. If I know there was a different spelling then I put that at the top of the Notes field. I do the same with Lemon (all USA) but it may be Lemen, Lemmon, Lemmen, even Fleming. I want them all together and there’s no way I can remember which were spelled differently. Even brothers spelled it differently.
              Sara Bradley Mason
              kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
                For what it’’s worth: one of my lines is Calhoun. I use that spelling for all those in the USA, Colhoun for those in Ireland, and Colquhoun for those in Scotland.
                Sarah, are any of your US Calhouns in Illinois? I have a Calhoun/Calhoon family in my line.
                Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Kim, the only one I have is Hugh Calhoun, III who married Mary Johnson. They were in the 1820 census in Edwards County, Illinois and the 1830 census in Lawrence County, Illinois. Mary died in 1845 and Hugh moved to Grant County, Wisconsin. They may have had children that stayed in Illinois but I don't have info on them.
                  Sara Bradley Mason
                  kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
                    Kim, the only one I have is Hugh Calhoun, III who married Mary Johnson. They were in the 1820 census in Edwards County, Illinois and the 1830 census in Lawrence County, Illinois. Mary died in 1845 and Hugh moved to Grant County, Wisconsin. They may have had children that stayed in Illinois but I don't have info on them.
                    Possible, but my Calhouns were on the other side of the state, and later. The earliest I have is Abraham Calhoon. I don't have a birthdate for him, but his son was born in 1871, so a little after yours.
                    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
                    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
                    X