No announcement yet.

Best process to share part of a large Family File with another Reunion 12 user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best process to share part of a large Family File with another Reunion 12 user

A cousin of mine (part of my mother's family) has recently changed over to using Reunion 12 on his Mac. I'd like to send him my Family File (and linked images, eventually), but my FF currently has over 3500 people in it (including my wife's family and my father's family) that he would not be interested in. What's the best way to prepare a new FF (that would be pruned from my big file) and send it to my cousin so he can import it into his Reunion program? We are both Dropbox users, so once I have a good pruned FF file, I can share a link to that file with him by email.
    Steve Thomas
    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Originally posted by thomprod View Post
    A cousin of mine (part of my mother's family) has recently changed over to using Reunion 12 on his Mac. I'd like to send him my Family File (and linked images, eventually), but my FF currently has over 3500 people in it (including my wife's family and my father's family) that he would not be interested in. What's the best way to prepare a new FF (that would be pruned from my big file) and send it to my cousin so he can import it into his Reunion program? We are both Dropbox users, so once I have a good pruned FF file, I can share a link to that file with him by email.
    I recommend marking all blood relatives of your mom. Then, send your cousin a Reunion family file containing those marked people and images linked to them.

To do so, follow these steps...

1. Open your family file and choose Mark in the navbar.

2. Then, select these options...

Action: Mark
    Who: Boood Relatives...
    of: <your mom>

√ Unmark everybody first
    √ Mark source person
    √ Mark spouses (if you want)
    √ Mark parents of spouses (if you want)

Click the Mark button

3. Then, click on Family View and choose File -> Export -> Reunion Family File...

4. Select these options...

People - Marked people and their spouses
    Sources - All sources
    Multimedia - All multimedia
    √ Copy multimedia files to a new folder

5. Then, click Proceed in the window that drops down.

6. Next, click Export and click Proceed in the window that Drops down.

7. Finally, in the Export window, select your desktop as the location to which the export folder should be saved and click Export.

Afterward, you will see the export folder on your desktop. It will contain a family file with your mom's side of the family and a Media folder containing the images linked to those people.

Move that entire folder into Dropbox and share it with your cousin.

I hope you find this information helpful

Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you, Deb. That sounds great.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Working...
      X