Ascending paternal lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascending paternal lineage

I'm trying to make an ascending paternal lineage chart (father to father only) using Reunion 12. Unfortunately, I can't find a way of doing it. Can someone help me. Is it possible? Thanks.
    Last edited by Leo L; 14 June 2019, 11:31 PM.

It does not look promising! Not a single answer. Related to this topic, I often see people reporting family group sheets on the internet with ascending paternal lineages (superscripted generation numbers). Any ideas on how this is done? Thanks.

Comment

Best I can come up with:
      1. Mark the individuals in your lineage i.e use the tick box, father to father.
      2. Go to the individual you are using as a start point.
      3. Use Charts in the side panel.
      4. Select Ancestor, your start point radio button will be active i.e. blue.
      5. Change the number of generations to something appropriate to the number of required lineage generations.
      6. In the prune section tick 'Marked ancestors only'
      7. Modify the layout as required - but no superscripted generation numbers.

OR
      Use Reports - Ancestor - follow as above for your marked individuals to produce the relevant Ancestor Report

These may not be exactly what you want, there are many possible options, but central is the use of marked individuals. Hope that helps.
      Dave Walton
      Tree - Walton, Haggerston, Chambers, Munro, Haught, Schlager, Scannell...
      iMac M1, Macbook Air M2, MacOS Ventura 13.2, Reunion 13

Comment

I've done what I believe you want many times in Reunion 11, most recently for a male relative who took a Y-DNA test and wanted a chart showing only his direct paternal ancestry. You can try this and see if it works the same in Reunion 12, and if not perhaps someone else will chime in.

Go to "Find" in the left side bar. At the bottom you’ll see “Find relationship between two people,” with two boxes underneath. In the first box, drag and drop the oldest (earliest patrilineal ancestor) from the people side bar on the right that you want in your chart. In the second box, drag and drop the youngest patrilineal descendant from the people sidebar. Click “Find Relationship” and you’ll see “Create Chart” on the right under the 2nd box (it doesn’t appear until you hit Find Relationship). Click on that.

You’ll now have a chart in descending order, from oldest ancestor in a direct paternal line, to youngest. If you want it to be in ascending order, with the chart open, go to Tree in the file menu, then Orientation, and change to “Bottom-To-Top.”

This can be used in different ways. I created a chart recently for a 5th cousin, showing our common ancestor and where the lines branched off. In this case I put myself and the 5th cousin in the two boxes.

Hope this helps,

Sally

Comment

Thanks David and Sally. It works!

Comment

Sally, thank you so much for posting this!!! I have been trying to find a way to mark the direct relationship line from my grandmother to our rev war patriot to make a chart or report of some sort for my cousins. I've been sitting here for a few hours and although I found ways in charts to set up paternal and maternal lines, non were following exactly what I needed. I'm glad I finally searched here!
            Sandy D.
            iMac
            Reunion 10

Comment

Working...
            X