Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baptism records - which type of source file to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baptism records - which type of source file to choose?

Hi, as I have been using Reunion I have created my own types of source file based on the data I was finding. I ended up creating a separate source file for Parish records. This came about after I began searching further back in time and the record types were no longer fitting the format I had previously been using, such as the birth index files from the GRO database etc.

Now, I'm coming across records that I'm not sure which source template to use. For example in this screenshot I have a Christening record from Family Search. It doesn't quite fit in my Parish Baptism source template because there is very little detail, but it's also not really an index file because there are no reference numbers to allocate to it.

Would you use the parish baptism source template or would you use a generic baptism template? Would you class this record as a parish record at all?

I hope I have explained what I mean adequately. If anyone could share how they have their baptisms set up in the source templates that woulds be really helpful.

Cheers,
    Nicky

parish file types.png
    Researching AUSTIN, BAILEY, WISEMAN

Here's how I think of these things, for what it's worth. The purpose of a source is to show where you got your info, so that it can be checked by someone else, or by yourself at a later date. The person doing this check is not necessarily using the tools you used: they may be with Ancestry/Archives/etc rather than Family Search, or they may be at a County Records Office, or whatever. The crucial parts of the record you show in your image (the ones the checker would see in any case) are on the right hand side, showing that this info comes from 'England Births and Christenings 1538-1975' i.e from the Mormons' huge transcription of parish records, and the microfilm number 990917. Provided you show this, the template is not all that important: you could use your Parish Record template, or you could make a new one called Mormons, or something.

Comment

Working...
    X