Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GEDCOM Export and living people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    GEDCOM Export and living people

    Hi
    My goal to to create a GEDCOM for Ancestry that doesn't have the names of any living people in it. Currently I'm not finding a way to do an export that does't show the full names of some of the people. In this case living spouses and children are shown with full names. The file has 280 people in it. Also first use after upgrading to Reunion 12.

    Reunions "Privacy and Sensitivity" preference has the following settings:

    Is checked "People with no death date born after 1919"
    Is checked "People with this flag checked privacy"
    Is NOT checked Marked people

    What to do with private people
    "Name: Omit"
    "Additional text: (Living)"
    Not checked "Indicate sex"

    Sample
    (Living)
    Not checked "Include birth, death, and marriage years"
    Not checked "Include picture"

    In the GEDCOM export window the following are selected:

    "Marked people (280) and their spouses"
    Checked "and their children"
    Checked "and their parents"
    Checked "Use privacy filtering"
    Checked "Exclude sensitive data"
    other boxes unchecked
    other fields defaulted.

    Any ideas as to whether it's possible to do what I want and how to do it?

    Thanks
    J Sadler

    #2
    Do the people who showed up when you didn't expect them to have birthdates less than 100 years ago, and no death date?

    Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

    Comment


      #3
      Correct. Iím one of the spouses and I show up with my full name instead of my expected Living.

      Thanks

      Comment


        #4
        I can't replicate this problem.

        My privacy preferences are the same as yours. My privacy flag is a flag I call "Living" and it is set manually at the person level - it is not set by or to be confused with Reunion's search attribute/function "Living" which needs a birth date to operate.

        It appears you are exporting everyone. I chose to export all people rather than mark them all and then export marked people with their spouses and children. None of the people I have flagged as Living have their names revealed in the GEDCOM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by A Ginn View Post
          I can't replicate this problem.

          My privacy preferences are the same as yours. My privacy flag is a flag I call "Living" and it is set manually at the person level - it is not set by or to be confused with Reunion's search attribute/function "Living" which needs a birth date to operate.

          It appears you are exporting everyone. I chose to export all people rather than mark them all and then export marked people with their spouses and children. None of the people I have flagged as Living have their names revealed in the GEDCOM.
          I need to verify that the people that shouldn't show up have birth dates set. I won't be able to do that till Monday.

          J Sadler

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by A Ginn View Post
            I can't replicate this problem.

            My privacy preferences are the same as yours. My privacy flag is a flag I call "Living" and it is set manually at the person level - it is not set by or to be confused with Reunion's search attribute/function "Living" which needs a birth date to operate.

            It appears you are exporting everyone. I chose to export all people rather than mark them all and then export marked people with their spouses and children. None of the people I have flagged as Living have their names revealed in the GEDCOM.
            Originally posted by jsadler View Post

            I need to verify that the people that shouldn't show up have birth dates set. I won't be able to do that till Monday.

            J Sadler

            A Ginn
            It looks like a few more Mondays went by than I was expecting!
            You're correct in that to get the "Living" instead of a name, you need the the birthdate entered. Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction.

            I have the impression that many of us have entered relatives without birthday's with the intent of entering them later (or just forgot about them). To me I'd expect the s/w to lean towards privacy protection and if there is no birth date and no death date then mark the entry as Living.

            J Sadler
            Last edited by jsadler; 02 July 2019, 09:34 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jsadler View Post
              I have the impression that many of us have entered relatives without birthday's with the intent of entering them later (or just forgot about them). To me I'd expect the s/w to lean towards privacy protection and if there is no birth date and no death date then mark the entry as Living.
              I just uploaded a tree to share on a public site and was surprised to see several living people's names show up. It wasn't a large number and I was able to quickly fix them, but it was a surprise. However, from a programming point of view, I can understand that the software can't differentiate between my 7th g-gma that I don't have birth and death dates for and my cousin's mother. So, in future, I'll have to be prepared to quickly change them or save as a separate Reunion file, edit them, and export a GEDCOM from that file as work arounds.

              Comment

              Working...
              X