Sosa-Stradonitz / Ahnentafel numbering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sosa-Stradonitz / Ahnentafel numbering

After almost 30 years of working on my genealogy, I have a rather embarrassing admission to make. Working from many French sources, I started early on using the sosa numbering system that is commonly used in France. I created a special field above "flag" and hand-numbered my ancestors. I wondered what the Ahnentafel system might be but did not really look into it. Plus, I could see that no number was automatically generated, so I didn't worry about it. I have just realized that the two systems are the same thing! I could have saved myself a bit of work, but o well.
    I have some questions, though.

1. Can I generate a report with just numbers and names, in order? Even if I turn off "narrative." I still get a certain amount of bla-bla.
    2. Is there a way to assign numbers to people according to a specific source person so that they are always visible. I know that's what I did, and I don't think I made any mistakes, but it would be useful to have the numbers always in evidence. French people refer to them a lot when comparing notes with hew cousins, for example. As in, Albert is my sosa 48 for example.
    3. In the list I generated by Reunion, a couple doesn't come up as # 14080 and 14081 as they should, but as "parents of #7040". Why is that?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

I found the answer to my last question: I hadn't put in for enough generations. I upped it to 14 and they were numbered properly.
    But is there a way to get a report that just gives numbers, names and dates on one line?
    For ex. 241. Marie Charlotte JAILLOT (1754-1823)

Comment

Originally posted by Muriel A View Post
      1. Can I generate a report with just numbers and names, in order? Even if I turn off "narrative." I still get a certain amount of bla-bla.
      2. Is there a way to assign numbers to people according to a specific source person so that they are always visible. I know that's what I did, and I don't think I made any mistakes, but it would be useful to have the numbers always in evidence. French people refer to them a lot when comparing notes with hew cousins, for example. As in, Albert is my sosa 48 for example.
      [2] If you search in the manual for "Numbering Tools", you can find instructions on applying more-or-less permanent Sosa numbers to people and making them visible in the Family View.

[1] If you remove all fields in the Layout, you can get a list of only names and numbers, but they have lines for Father:, Mother:, and Spouse: that I haven't found a way of getting rid of within Reunion. However, in a word processing program it's easy to get rid of those lines so you wind up with:

1. Hughes Charles Laure Théobald de Praslin
      2. Claude Raynard Laure Félix de Choiseul-Praslin
      3. Charlotte Laure Olympe Le Tonnelier de Breteuil
      4. Antoine César de Choiseul de Praslin
      5. Charlotte Marie Antoinette Septimanie O’Brien
      6. Claude Stanislaus Le Tonnelier de Breteuil
      7. Olympe Marguerite de Siry de Marigny
      8. Renaud Cesar Louis de Choiseul
      9. Guyonne Marguerite de Durfort
      10. Charles O’Brien
      11. Marie Genevieve Louise Gauthier

etc.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Thank you, Dennis. Your reply was helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Muriel A View Post
          Thank you, Dennis. Your reply was helpful.
          Glad to hear it!

If you use a word processor that allows GREP searches, you get rid of the excess Ahnentafel lines by searching for (Father|Mother|Spouse)(.)* and replacing it with nothing.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
          X