How to indicate adoption by uncle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to indicate adoption by uncle?

Yep, the family surprises keep coming in.

It seems this one great cousin was adopted by his dads brother, probably after his dad was killed by the Turks.

How is do I indicate that he was born the biological son of one couple in the family but was later raised by another? Can the diagram reflect this somehow, perhaps two boxes with a dotted line?

And how do I data enter? Adoption event? Two sets of parents?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave Kitabjian

Hi Dave,

You would start by entering the child as you normally would, as a son of his father.

Then, go to the uncle and drag the child from the People sidebar into the Children portion of the Family View. You will be asked if you want to “Move” or “Duplicate” the child, select “Duplicate”. The child will appear in the Children portion of the Family View, CTRL+Click/Right-Click on his entry in the Children portion then go to the “Child Status” submenu of the menu that opens and select “Adopted”.

Once done you should have one entry for the child that appears under both his father and his uncle, with a border (by default a dark red, indicating the child is adopted) around the button showing under the uncle.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Mark: Would this also work for the situation where the child was adopted by her grandparents after the child's mother died?
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Hi Dave,

You would start by entering the child as you normally would, as a son of his father.

Then, go to the uncle and drag the child from the People sidebar into the Children portion of the Family View. You will be asked if you want to “Move” or “Duplicate” the child, select “Duplicate”. The child will appear in the Children portion of the Family View, CTRL+Click/Right-Click on his entry in the Children portion then go to the “Child Status” submenu of the menu that opens and select “Adopted”.

Once done you should have one entry for the child that appears under both his father and his uncle, with a border (by default a dark red, indicating the child is adopted) around the button showing under the uncle.

HTH
        Mark, you are a Reunion God.

Thank you.

I will try this out as soon as my connections help me figure out which uncle was the actual father ;-)
        Dave Kitabjian

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Mark: Would this also work for the situation where the child was adopted by her grandparents after the child's mother died?
          Yes, the same basic steps would work for that situation.
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X