One name study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One name study

Hi, has anyone used Reunion to do a one name study? I know other software is recommended for them, but I'd like to use Reunion if it has the facility.
    Thanks.Schedule
    Researching AUSTIN, BAILEY, WISEMAN

Hello. Can you explain what the requirements are for a one name study that wouldn't be fulfilled with Reunion?

For me, I am pretty certain that all the people in the Americas with the two variants of my name (Darveau and Darveaux) are descendant from a single individual that came from France and settled in Canada originally. As far as I know, there are no Darveau(x)'s in France. I believe, in essence, that I am doing a one name study (though I am open to correction on that point) and Reunion has worked perfectly fine for my research, hence, my original question above.

Comment

I've been using Reunion for decades (actually since 1992) for my ONS. If other software is recommended then it's probably for PC's.
      Nick Michael
      LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
      GOONS Member 3814
      http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
        Hello. Can you explain what the requirements are for a one name study that wouldn't be fulfilled with Reunion?
        The name I am studying is reasonably common, although not quite a Smith or Jones. Therefore I am unsure how to record so many different branches of the name that I have not yet found how they are related. Can you have several different trees within one family file and just join them up as you find proof? I have not embarked on any one name study type research, so I don't know how obvious the answer might be.

Comment

Originally posted by N Merrick View Post
          Can you have several different trees within one family file and just join them up as you find proof?.
          N Merrick, yes, you can have several different trees within one family file. In fact, most people would find having all the names in one file preferable because you can search through all the names once, rather then in each file. Plus, Reunion has a feature that will quickly find and list all the different "islands" in your file so you can easily see these "loose ends".

Even though I said above that I am pretty sure all people in the Americas with my surname are descendants of the same person, that doesn't mean I have them all connected. In fact, I have 108 islands. There are many single people and couples that I have found during research that I couldn't connect up, but they are in there just in case I do someday. And when you do find evidence of a connection, it is easy to add them to any of the other islands in the file.

Comment

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X