Changing relationship in chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing relationship in chart

Is it possible to change the existing relationship between boxes already entered in a descendant chart? Specifically, I just learned that a couple's son, who has hundreds of descendants in the chart, had a previous marriage, with a few children. I want this marriage to appear in correct chronological order, that is, the first marriage at the left, followed by the second marriage at the right. I can add a box to the preexisting son, with a spouse line, in order to show the additional marriage, but that will not connect this new box to the original couple as their son. Or I can add a box to the couple for the new marriage, but that will not connect the two marriages to each other with a spouse line, and will make it look as if the couple had two separate sons with the same name. I can add a new box to the couple (representing the son's first marriage), so as to connect with them, and then add another new spouse box to this newly added son, so as to replace the original single (now second) marriage, but that would require then deleting the original box, which would in turn delete the hundreds of descendants already there. Obviously, I don't want to have to reenter all those hundreds. Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 2.35.20 PM.png

I would like to show Hilel's first marriage, to Basza, descending from Ruwel and Etla, and remove the parent-child line from Ruwel/Etla to Hilel and Sora, without deleting the hundreds of boxes that descend from Reuben Kassel. Is this possible? Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Robert Mandelbaum; 16 February 2019, 02:29 PM.

My first reaction is to wonder why don't you recreate the chart from scratch from the family file, but am guessing you've already invested a lot of manual editing time into the chart. If you need to preserve what you've already done, there's a few ways to approach your problem, but this is how I'd do it:

- Add Hilel as a second son to Ruwel and Etla and place this box first in child order.

- Add Basza to this box, and add boxes for their children.

- Arrange the boxes so the first marriage is directly below the parents' box (straight, vertical connecting line) and the second marriage is appropriately placed.

- Select the box for the second marriage and set the connecting line to “”None””

- From the main menu, select Edit>Add Shape>Line; stretch it to a little more than the needed length (you can hold the shift key to ensure it’’s horizontal), move it to connect Hilel’’s two boxes, and set the width and color appropriately for a spouse line; with the line still selected, from the main menu select Object>Layer>Back to hide the ends

Hope this helps.

Edit: apologies for the semi-literate response; the forum deleted all my apostrophes and quote marks and won’t let me add them back.

Edit 2: never mind, there's weird things going on and I give up trying to fix it.
    Last edited by ttl; 17 February 2019, 08:52 AM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Tim,

You are a genius! In all these years, I never knew I could manually add lines like that. That was exactly what I was trying to accomplish, and it worked like a charm. And you were correct, I have spent countless hours manually editing this 221-page descendant chart, spanning eleven generations, and the idea of recreating it from scratch was quite unappealing, to put it mildly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Best,
      Robert

Comment

You’re welcome. Pleased to be of assistance!
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
        X