links to other notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

links to other notes

Is there a way to embed a link in a notes field that will link to other notes created in the family file?

No, this would be something for the wish list.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I shall wish it then. Do I need to post this in the Wish List forum?

Comment

Nope -- I'll add it to our internal wish list with a link to this forum thread.
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I've been asking for this for years! It would be so good... But it's probably majorly complicated to write
          Nick Michael
          LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
          GOONS Member 3814
          http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

I too wish there was a general notes that I could post to, linked or not. For example, I discovered in searching an Italian ancestor, she was listed by her maiden name. Little did I know that women adopting their husbands names was an American tradition. I thought this was a useful fact for my family tree, but not one I wished to bury in a particular person's note. In the absence of being able to write a general note to this effect, I have been using the log files to write my notes.

Yes, I wish it were not in the log files, but maybe log files is just a bad name for me. I have been using the log files as the best way for me to write a note that is not attached to a family. Now, it could be better if I could add a source or possibly make the note a sourced link that I could attached to persons in the same way other sources are linked.

PW

Comment

Peter W - notes: you can make a note category just for informative bits like the use of maiden name in other cultures OR add a footnote to the appropriate entry in your notes.
              Bonnie Samuel
              Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

BL Samuel, I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. I know I can create a note in a person view. How do I create a note that is not in a person view? In the sidebar I see Family View, Edit Person, Family Tree, etc. Logs is the closest I can find to "Notes". I might like a note that describes who is in (or not in) a given family file. I think that would be useful for someone I may share my family tree with, or note so I know who I shared my family tree with.

Comment

I use Notes and Logs as follows. My notes are for specific findings about a person or couple. I have note categories for Personal Accounts, Transcribed Records, Transcribed Letters, Military Service, Medical Info, etc. Also a note titled Narrative, where I write my account of this person's life. I can add special notes to an individual if needed.
                  My Logs are of mainly two types: 1) Research Needed logs for stuff I need to research in specific places, libraries, and court houses; eg. GA research, NC research, SC-Horry research, SC Columbia research-USCLib & SCDAH, TN research-Knoxville, TN research-Clarksville, VA research, etc.; these are my To Do lists when traveling. 2) Family logs for findings not yet analyzed. When researching in a particular library or court house, findings go into general family logs such as Adams family, Barnhill family, Dickerson family, Dozier family, etc. Later, I can analyze these findings and update the appropriate person card and person notes. I currently have about 10 place logs and 18 family logs active.
                  I also use logs for miscellaneous general reference information that I might need when in a library (eg. Charleston proprietary, colonial, parish, district, & county date ranges).
                  As you can see, I create a log whenever I need it for general notes, and (hopefully) update person records and clear the log promptly. Reunion is commendable for its flexibility. I'm always interested in how others use its features.

Comment

Working...
                  X