Renumbering the Source List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renumbering the Source List

I started using Reunion years ago, and have just gotten back to organizing my family tree. Having worked on it irregularly over the years, I now realized my Source List is not organized in the least. I currently have 33 sources and they are mixed and mashed. None of the birth certificates are together. None of the books are together. Is there a way to renumber the list (move current Sources #15, #22, #30 to be Sources #1,2,3) without issue to the source citations?

In the Sources window, if you order them by number, the result you describe is natural. So try ordering them by template or data.

Comment

The only way I know of to renumber sources is by duplicating and then matching and merging each source in turn. With your 33 sources this is manageable. I am not sure whether there is really any point to this but it is up to personal preference. I have thousands of sources and for me it is clearly not manageable. Anyway this is what you would do. Let us imagine that your source #1 is a census and you want birth certificates first:

1. Create a duplicate of source #1 (Select sources in the right hand window, right click on source #1 and select "duplicate source 1"). That will create source #34 which will be a copy of source #1.
      2. Match and merge source #1 into source #34 (drag source #1 and drop it onto source #34). Now source #1 will not exist and all your citations will be in source #34.
      3. Now create a duplicate of your first birth certificate source (the one you want to be numbered 1). That duplicate will now be source #1.
      4. Match and merge your first birth certificate source into source #1. Now you have renumbered your first birth certificate as source #1.
      5. Keep going with all your sources of each type in the order you want them to be.

Good luck
      Andrew
      Last edited by A Hougie; 16 February 2019, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
        In the Sources window, if you order them by number, the result you describe is natural. So try ordering them by template or data.
        Another way is:.
        Select "Sources" in the bottom left Sidebar,
        Select "Show" in the top right Sources sidebar
        Select the Source e.g. "Vital Record" and only they will show up in the Sources Sidebar.
        Or do it as Michael described:
        Select "Template or Data" and all the sources will be displayed alpha-numerically in the Sources Sidebar.
        Last edited by kyuck; 12 February 2019, 07:59 PM. Reason: Changed wording slightly
        Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
        Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Comment

I agree with kyuck & Michael. Also, I have over a thousand sources so I just use the search space to put in a key word in the source I want (using "Any" in the "Show" box). This brings up all the sources, with that keyword, in alpha order, under "Data". Then it is usually very easy to find the source I want. Otherwise, every time you add a new source, you will have to renumber more & more of your current sources.
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

As others have pointed out, you will never be able to keep Books or Vital Records (birth certificates) together because you will keep adding more of each of them in random order over time. Although Michael didn't specify how to do it, the way you order them by Template or Data is simply to click on those words as they appear in the headers over their specific columns.

When I want to see my Census sources in order so that I can drag the correct one one over to a Source Citation window, I click on the word Template and they all group together in numerical (year) order (after I scroll past all my Books). But after five years of using Reunion, this post has helped me see an even faster way: just choose Census in the Show window. Never saw that before (nor the "contains" option rather than "starts with", so yay! I love this forum.

Comment

One thing I do with my sources is add a field, PERSON. I don't remember if this was a default or a custom field. On almost all of my sources, it is the first field listed.
              SURNAME, First Name, Initial
              (Census is an exception, as well as most books)

Then I can select a type of source in the 'Show' window, ie. Vital Record, and click the Data header to sort in alphabetical order. This will show me all vital records grouped by surname. It isn't perfect of course, because some records, like marriage, contain more than one name. When I enter the names for a marriage, I start with the most relevant surname. For example, if Brown is one of the branches I am working on, and Susie Brown marries Tommy Smith, I list the names as BROWN, Susie M - SMITH, Tommy B. The record would then sort with the Browns. I doubt most people will find it useful, but it fits with how my mind works.
              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

THANK YOU everyone. This is MOST helpful. Really appreciate it.

Comment

I just do a quick search in the Source list to find a source I want to use again, or to duplicate to use as a template.

Their order in the list is of no real importance to me.

Roger
                  Roger Moffat
                  http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                  http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
                  X