Merge resulted in loss of records and created new (incorrect) associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge resulted in loss of records and created new (incorrect) associations

I used the merge function to merge two men, dragging one man's record on top of the duplicate. One record included a named wife and 5 children. One record included 2 different children and unnamed wife. After the merge, all 5 of the children from the merged (and now therefore deleted record) are purged from my file. None of the notes for the merged man are kept either. The wife and children of one of the now purged/missing children are attached to someone else. I did not make a backup copy before I did the merge, which I've successfully done before. Suggestions please how I can recover my lost data. I've been using Reunion for several years, but my database is now a mess.

Does the man now show 2 different marriages - one with 5 children and the other with 2 children?

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

No. One marriage. Children from one of the marriages all deleted. I started with two Isaacs. Isaac + unknown wife and two children. Second Isaac with wife Jane and 5 children whose names were different from the first Isaac's children. Now I only show Isaac with one wife Jane with two children. Neither Isaac nor Jane have a second spouse. The 5 children from Isaac and Jane's record that I merged into Isaac and wife unknown are now deleted from my database. One of the deleted children is Jacob. His wife is now attached as a second spouse to one of the two children that were kept.
      Last edited by L Schwenn; 04 February 2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

My understanding is that a merge can't be undone.

Comment

If you are using TimeMachine you could go back and look at the file before you did the merge.
          Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
          Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Comment

Working...
          X