Source Fields for Federal Census Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Fields for Federal Census Data

I am new to Reunion 12 and I would appreciate any help the community can offer on the following topic.

The information for citing a source record in the Federal Census would include the year, the state, the county, the city/township/institution/unincorporated place, the Enumeration District, the Sheet Number and Line Numbers. There is also information for recording the physical source of the information (e.g., Microfilm numbers, etc.). I noticed that the default source fields for Reunion Census source records do not include these. What is the best practice for recording Federal Census information in a Reunion source?
    Richard Kennedy
    Main lines:
    -Beltramo
    -Delauranti
    -Kennedy
    -Lien
    -Reano

Originally posted by Richard Kennedy View Post
    I am new to Reunion 12 and I would appreciate any help the community can offer on the following topic.

The information for citing a source record in the Federal Census would include the year, the state, the county, the city/township/institution/unincorporated place, the Enumeration District, the Sheet Number and Line Numbers. There is also information for recording the physical source of the information (e.g., Microfilm numbers, etc.). I noticed that the default source fields for Reunion Census source records do not include these. What is the best practice for recording Federal Census information in a Reunion source?
    Hello Richard

FWIW, here's a pic of how I do mine:

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 12.25.37.png

Cheers
    Jan
    Jan Powell
    in Wellington, New Zealand
    http://www.rellyseeker.nz/
    --
    Apple/Mac since 1987, Reunion since 1993

Comment

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 10.26.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 10.25.47 AM.png
      According to Evidence Explained the following fields (and their order) for a US Federal Census (digital copy) are: Census ID
      Jurisdiction (location)
      Schedule
      Civil Division (local location)
      Page ID (number plus ‘stamped’ or ‘penned’)
      Household ID (dwelling #, family #)
      Person(s) of interest
      Type or Format
      Website Title
      URL – Digital location
      Date (found)
      Credit line (source of this source) (microfilm info)

These are all Custom Reunion Source fields and can be easily created via the Preferences panel under SOURCES.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

And if you are a minority opinion person such as myself who prefers to document sources in the notes section, I have a pre-formatted entry that I store in a clip manager app. I just paste it into Notes and then fill in the blanks. It is:

Federal Census: Year: NNNN Place: aaa, aaa, aaa Roll: NNN Page: NNN District: NN Image: XXXX;

A completed item would look like this: Federal Census: Year: 1930; Place: Oroville, Butte, California; Roll: 113; Page: 30A; District: 35; Image: 284.0.

My thinking is to give whoever sees this sufficient info to locate the proper sheet for either verifying my work or to fill in further details.

Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I do something similar to what Bob White does. I have tried to keep it as simple as I can. I have a source number for all the different census'-federal, state, Canadian and England. I also created a flag for the census'. When I go to enter census info on the person's card I put in the correct source number and then in TextExpander I have a keyboard shortcut and it pastes the different parts of the census like Bob had in his reply. I fill that out, copy it, move on to the next part and put the year in for the census, the census place and then in the Memo area I put in the info for that person-like head, wife, etc. and just keep typing in the info. The last thing I do is to check the flag for that census. All my actual census' are stored in Evernote. This is working for me.
          2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Working...
          X