Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search function on web cards

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Search function on web cards

    I just finished uploading my web site to Rootsweb (www.darveaux.com) and went to check it out. I noticed that the Search function doesn't work at all. The line appears to type in the item to be searched for, but when Return is pressed, it goes through the motion of searching and doesn't find things that i know are there (even if it is on the page thats visible.) The same thing occurs when the site is run off the hard drive.

    #2
    Re: Search function on web cards

    Hi Blaise,

    It appears the "index.json" file, which contains the index that the search function needs to perform the search, is missing from your website.

    Do you see this file in the web project folder on your Mac? If so, upload it to your web page. If not, let me know.

    Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Search function on web cards

      Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi Blaise,

      It appears the "index.json" file, which contains the index that the search function needs to perform the search, is missing from your website.

      Do you see this file in the web project folder on your Mac? If so, upload it to your web page. If not, let me know.

      Thanks,
      Hi Mark,

      Yes, the file is in the web project. I guess I missed transferring that one to the site.

      However, upon uploading it, the search function still doesn't work on the web site or from my Mac.

      Thanks,

      Blaise

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Search function on web cards

        After taking a closer look at the JSON file, there are some hidden characters in some of your name fields that could be causing the issue.

        Stéphane St. Laurent and Thérèse Plamondon have a hidden character in their first & mid name field. You should completely delete and re-type their first/mid names in your family file to clear the hidden character.

        Then, recreate the web project and upload just the index.json file (you shouldn't need to re-upload the whole project).

        If that doesn't fix the issue, let me know.
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Search function on web cards

          Originally posted by Mark View Post
          After taking a closer look at the JSON file, there are some hidden characters in some of your name fields that could be causing the issue.

          Stéphane St. Laurent and Thérèse Plamondon have a hidden character in their first & mid name field. You should completely delete and re-type their first/mid names in your family file to clear the hidden character.

          Then, recreate the web project and upload just the index.json file (you shouldn't need to re-upload the whole project).

          If that doesn't fix the issue, let me know.
          Thanks Mark,

          I did just as you said, but the search function still doesn't work.

          Blaise

          p.s. I just saw the Reunion email and where the hidden characters are. As far as I know, those are just e's with normal accent marks. There are many in my database.
          Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 06 November 2018, 05:14 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Search function on web cards

            Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
            Thanks Mark,

            I did just as you said, but the search function still doesn't work.

            Blaise

            p.s. I just saw the Reunion email and where the hidden characters are. As far as I know, those are just e's with normal accent marks. There are many in my database.
            It seems to be working for me at 7:27pm EST on Tuesday 6 November - I click on search, and start typing Blan and get the popup list of names as expected.

            Roger
            Attached Files
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Search function on web cards

              Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
              I did just as you said, but the search function still doesn't work.
              Your browser may have cached the index.json -- you'll need to force a reload of the page (Shift+Command+R) to make sure it uses the newly uploaded file instead.

              As far as I know, those are just e's with normal accent marks. There are many in my database.
              The e's aren't the issue -- there's a hidden character in the names that simply doesn't display (doesn't even take up space).

              HTH
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Search function on web cards

                Just a small addition: you can find the 'Invisable' characters by using TextWrangler.
                View -> Text Display -> Show invisibles
                Mostly it is an 'inverted' question mark, see screendump.
                Then you can find all the places with invisibles characters
                But might be Mark cs or others have a simpler method to find all the invisibles.
                Attached Files
                Frans van Bodegom
                Dutch Reunion User Group

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Search function on web cards

                  Mark,

                  I was aware of the cashing issue so when I tried it yesterday, I closed the tab in the browser and re-entered the URL to go to the site. It still didn't work as I reported. Apparently that wasn't enough to load the new page into the cache.

                  I did the Shift-Command-R as you said and then it did work.

                  I am curious why after re-making the project with the new .json file, it still didn't work off the hard drive. Perhaps it was still using the same old .json file?

                  Anyway, thank you all for your cyber sleuthing to get to the problem.

                  Blaise

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Search function on web cards

                    Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
                    I am curious why after re-making the project with the new .json file, it still didn't work off the hard drive. Perhaps it was still using the same old .json file?
                    No - that's due to a security feature present in most web browsers. It blocks loading of files from your hard drive via javascript, even if the javascript file trying to load it is also on your hard drive.
                    Mark Harrison
                    Leister Productions, Inc.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Does this mean that the search function won't work at all when the project resides on the hard drive. The reason I ask is that I just made a small project (saved it to my desktop) to give to someone to put on their hard drive and when I tried it out, the search didn't work. If it won't, I will have to tell them so they aren't confused.

                      Also, will TextEdit find those pesky hidden characters in the JSON file? TextEdit is as much of a text editor that I have on hand.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
                        But might be Mark cs or others have a simpler method to find all the invisibles.
                        TextWrangler, and its big brother BBEdit which in its free version has replaced TextWrangler have a command to "zap gremlins" (near the bottom of the Text menu in BBEdit) that should take care of those characters.

                        Roger
                        Roger Moffat
                        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
                          Does this mean that the search function won't work at all when the project resides on the hard drive.
                          In most cases, yes. It depends on what web browser they're using and what version of that web browser - older browser versions didn't have this security feature, and there may be some browsers that still don't.

                          Mark Harrison
                          Leister Productions, Inc.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X