Sources and Citations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources and Citations

I'm having some trouble with sources and citations.

What I want to do is add a source (such as a birth register) and then cite that source with the additional specific information to the person (such as name, birth date, page number, entry number, etc.) and add an image of the page to the citation.

I'm not clear, but it seems I can add a source, and I can cite the source and add additional information to the description (but not specific fields such as page number, date).

I can add an image to the source, but not to the citation, which is kind of useless if you have lots of pages. Am I correct in this? Is there a way to add images to a citation? Am I doing this wrong?

Re: Sources and Citations

Also, and maybe this is a bug, but if I create a new source, and then click on 'Show citations to source...' and enter the details in there, then they don't show up when I go to the person, and look at the source (the detail section is blank). If I do it in reverse - create the source then go to the person, look for the source, and add the detail, then that will show up in the 'show citations to source...' view.

Comment

Reunion does not allow linking a media item to a citation.

This is one reason why I make a new source for every item of information - so in your example, each instance of a page from a register book would become its own source. This allows of linking the media image to the source, and for you to file a printed copy of the source, or an electronic copy by its own unique source number and be able to easily find them.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        Reunion does not allow linking a media item to a citation.
        That's what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure. I've been doing the same as you, but it feels like it's the wrong way, and that sources and citations should be distinct, and thus the citation should be able to have its own media associated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by philipt18 View Post
          ...I'm not clear, but it seems I can add a source, and I can cite the source and add additional information to the description (but not specific fields such as page number, date).
          If you haven't already done so, it may help to review this FAQ web page...

Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            If you haven't already done so, it may help to review this FAQ web page...

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/v12/qu...tationtalk.php
            Thanks Frank. I think that makes my point, however, as in the example at the top of the FAQ you cite the page in the source that contains the information on this person. If one had the page scanned, wouldn't it make sense to associate it with the citation and the person? I can of course add the image to the person's media library as a document, but then it's not associated with the citation.

Also, please note the potential bug I described below.

Comment

Originally posted by philipt18 View Post
              ...if I create a new source, and then click on 'Show citations to source...' and enter the details in there, then they don't show up when I go to the person, and look at the source (the detail section is blank).
              Thanks for bringing this to our attention. In our testing the entered Citation Detail didn't show up initially, but when I switched to a different tab in the Edit Person/Family screen and back to the tab showing the citation, the Detail field updated to show the entered information. So, the information is being saved, but the display of that field in the Edit Person/Family screen isn't updating immediately.

Let me know if you're seeing something different.

Thanks,
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
              X