alignment of names in lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment of names in lists

Hi-I admit I have a touch of OCD when it comes to certain things and yesterday this popped up and it's driving me crazy!

I have 2 people with the same last name as a bunch of other people but for some reason these 2 ladies names DO NOT line up with everyone else's! I stared and stared at them to see if I could see where they differ and I can't see it.

I have rebuilt the caches, rebuilt the surname list, deleted them and added them again, added a space, took away a space, shut down Reunion and started it again... The names are Hetty Louise Hildebrand and Nala Pauline Hildebrand... This is silly but it bothers me!
    Attached Files
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Re: alignment of names in lists

What is happening here is that there is not enough horizontal space (width) to display the name so the text is being compressed to make room for more letters.

If you make the list a little bit wider the text will not be compressed and the names will line up.
    Gregg Witmer
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
      Hi-I admit I have a touch of OCD when it comes to certain things and yesterday this popped up and it's driving me crazy!... I have 2 people with the same last name as a bunch of other people but for some reason these 2 ladies names DO NOT line up with everyone else's! I stared and stared at them to see if I could see where they differ and I can't see it.
      This looks like the people sidebar. When there is enough space for everything, Reunion uses the spacing standard to the font you've chosen. If there isn't, it kerns the font more tightly in order to fit more information in.

If you can't ignore this (or give silent thanks for the ingeniousness of this feature ), you could:
      [1] increase the amount of screen space devoted to the people index by dragging the left edge of it inward (see "Resize the Sidebar" in the manual if you have trouble).
      [2] choose a font that squeezes more into less space (Ariel Narrow, Skia Condensed, etc.)
      [3] choose a smaller font size
      [4] you might try a monospaced font, though I am not entirely sure this would make a difference.

Notice for example the selection below. When the space for the people sidebar is smaller, the first name (and the dates) are shifted (in this case, rather subtlely) to the left. When ths space for the people sidebar is larger, so there is room for all dates, this doesn't occur.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 20 July 2018, 02:30 PM.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Oh! You guys are genius'!!! I have a 13" screen so I just needed to make the people column wider and now all is right with my world!!! Thank you!!! And I gave a silent thanks... Have a great weekend you two!
        2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Working...
        X