Importing from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing from Ancestry

I've read the help files and several threads on this forum. But I'm still stumped when it comes to importing data from Ancestry (via GEDCOM export to an empty reunion family file, of course). I've tried it twice now, and both times I finished up with a mess of scrambled data in my family file, taking hours to fix. (Before you ask - yes, I did save backup files along the way. But I still need to get the new data imported and merged).

The first time I thought it might have been down to importing too much data in a single operation (about 250 people). So the second time I broke the process down into groups of 30 people at a time. On each import I had newly imported people marked. I then ran "match & merge people", followed by manually merging the odd remaining marked duplicate.

From the best of research, that seemed a good strategy. But I still ended up with a mess to fix. Examples of the mess: phantom families comprising unrelated parents and children from different branches of the tree, yet with no 'real' duplicates.

Is there something I'm missing about gedcom import? I do realise gedcom has its limitations, and that merging problems are a fact of life to a degree. But other folks don't seem to experience stuff like this. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Regards,
    Lance <º))><

Re: Importing from Ancestry

In the "manual", there is a section with special notes about importing GEDCOM files from Ancestry and FTM. Have you reviewed that? (Do a find on GEDCOM. Scroll all the way to the bottom. The last two sections are about importing and exporting relative to said files.) Not my area of expertise; just pointing you to a possible solution.)
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks, Bob. Yes I read that section before I tried the import.
      Regards,
      Lance <º))><

Comment

Where are the instructions? I can't seem to find them on this site.

Comment

When in Reunion, click the question mark which is at the lower left corner of all screens. That will take you to the Help Manual. I'm sure you can find it from there on.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

If searching for help relating to Ancestry.com, just search on the word Ancestry (with or without the capital A) - Exporting and Importing are the first two results.
            Peter Cook
            Rossmoyne, Western Australia
            OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Working...
            X