Burial locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burial locations

Where do you list the cemetery name? I have found myself divided between these 2 options, but am open to suggestions!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blurped; 23 January 2018, 09:24 PM.
    http://www.eastwoodbungalow.com

Re: Burial locations

Either, but I prefer the 2nd--all on one line
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by blurped View Post
      Where do you list the cemetery name? I have found myself divided between these 2 options, but am open to suggestions!
      I always use the 2nd one.Like having the memo area to show Plot: info, if have it. If I don't have the Cemetery name yet, but do have the town, I put the town info in and change everything later when I find the cemetery info (I always check Find A Grave and Billion Graves before I give up!)

Regards,
      Kaye
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

A third vote for the second alternative.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

2nd. I put the GPS determined latitude & longitude in the memo area.

Comment

I use the first. My logic is that it is an address just like any other address. e.g. Another address might have an apartment number or unit number; this has a plot number.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Vote for the second one; it looks tidier.
              P. S. Browne
              researching Browne Haynos, Passalacqua, McCaskie, Gallacher, Dona, Crespin, McDonald and O'Sullivan lines in the US, Poland, Italy, UK and Australia

Comment

Originally posted by blurped View Post
                I'd go with the second - the cemetery is a place name, and so appears in your list unique from, and as a subset of the name of the town the cemetery might be in.

Then it also allows for better interaction if you perhaps end up publishing online with TNG - you can get a page like this

which lets the software break down the fact that in say Balclutha, there are 2 different cemeteries.

Roger
                Roger Moffat
                http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I'm having a déjà vu on this topic, as I know we have run through it several times before. I still prefer to put the grave, plot, section, lot, row, etc. into the Place field along with the cemetery name and location. Example:

S1/L17 Woodland Cemetery, Keene, Cheshire, NH

This creates a unique Place and is absolutely necessary for my work because I assign the exact GPS coordinates to the marker once I've found it. It is easy to zoom in and retrieve the coordinates for any point from the mapping websites. Without this detail all the graves in a particular cemetery would share the same Place, and geotagging would be far less useful.

I, too, put the coordinates into the Place's memo field, as there is no way to print a Place's geo codes in a report. Example:

N42-56.295, W072-16.298 or 42.93825 -72.27171487269973

Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X