Missing Multimedia Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Multimedia Files

I need help relinking photos to my Family File. I can’t be sure the problem was not there before, but I noticed it after installing V.12, could that be part or all of the cause?

I’ve tried doing what the Manual suggests, but get the following replies:

The family file has 3216 links to multimedia files.
    3135 links are broken (Reunion can’t find the multimedia file.)
    ——
    In Multimedia Usage report I’m told
    Missing (in red): 2199 files used 3135 times
    128 files have the same name (in italics)

Most of those missing files are shown to be in Google Drive/Surname,Photos,Documents, Research, which is the folder where most of my photos are kept, as well as some in iPhoto.
    ——
    The Multimedia Search Folder in Preferences lists the following as places Reunion will search:
    Google Drive/Surname,Photos…..
    Google Drive/Photos
    Pictures
    Library/iPhoto Library/Photo Library/Photo Library (12,276)

I have never kept my photos in just one file, but rather in various Surname files along with all other files relating to that surname. Hoping I don’t have to reattach one by one!

I’ll appreciate help anyone can give.

Re: Missing Multimedia Files

Originally posted by Donna Birkey View Post
    I’ll appreciate help anyone can give.
    Just to be perfectly clear, have you already tried Preferences -> Multimedia -> Repair Multimedia Links...?
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      Just to be perfectly clear, have you already tried Preferences -> Multimedia -> Repair Multimedia Links...?
      Yes, several times. That's when I received the message "The family file has 3216 links to multimedia files. 3135 links are broken (Reunion can’t find the multimedia file.)

Comment

I can’t be sure the problem was not there before, but I noticed it after installing V.12, could that be part or all of the cause?
        Try this...

Quit Reunion 12 and open your old Reunion 11 family file in Reunion 11 to see if the links are broken in Reunion 11.

If the links are not broken when you open your Reunion 11 family file in Reunion 11, then something went wrong with the upgrade.

If the links are broken in Reunion 11 then they need to be repaired as stated above, this can be done in Reunion 12.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Yes, several times. That's when I received the message "The family file has 3216 links to multimedia files. 3135 links are broken (Reunion can’t find the multimedia file.)
          It seems the links are broken in Reunion 11, so the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem. I have gone through the relinking process several times in Reunion 12, but so far no relinking--only a list (in red) of several thousand items that need relinking.

My family file is in Dropbox, media are in files stored on Google Drive.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Donna Birkey; 09 December 2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Are you logged in to Google? Please check.

Also, you should consider storing your photos locally like on an external hard drive and just use Google Drive or equivalent for backup.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

It seems the links are broken in Reunion 11, so the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem. I have gone through the relinking process several times in Reunion 12, but so far no relinking--only a list (in red) of several thousand items that need relinking.

My family file is in Dropbox, media are in files stored on Google Drive.
              Yes, I'm logged in to Google, but I've decided the unlinking is because the files are on Google Drive. I will move them back to my hard drive and see if that fixes the problem.

Thank you.

Comment

It seems the links are broken in Reunion 11, so the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem.
                Looking at your list of broken media links, I see many media items that have a location of Trash. It looks like you may have linked some items to your family file in Reunion and then put the items into the Trash and emptied the trash.
                Gregg Witmer
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Looking at your list of broken media links, I see many media items that have a location of Trash. It looks like you may have linked some items to your family file in Reunion and then put the items into the Trash and emptied the trash.
                  Yes, I could have done that, but I have just solved the main part of the problem by moving my media files out of Google Drive and on to my storage hard drive. That has restored the bulk of the links. Less than 30 are now missing and I don't mind hunting for those!

Thank you very much for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X