This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corrupted database, numbers as places

Yesterday I noticed I had three place names that were numbers, a 2 and then two dates (in the form 12 Sept 1890). They were all attached to a different married couple, but in the usage information there was no Event associated with the Place. That was blank. I couldn't find any places in Edit Person for either of the two that had the numbers in any of the place fields.

I wasn't sure how to correct this, so (FORTUNATELY!) I made a back up of my data, closed the file, and opened it backup. Thinking that the marriage information might be the problem, I deleted the Date and Place information. That seemed to correct the problem, but tonight when I opened that file again it was corrupted, my father's grandmother is married to one of my mother's grandmothers some generations back (both of the boxes are pink). Her daughter and husband had the marriage information that I had deleted.

Opening my backup copy now shows that the places that were numbers have disappeared, so I hope all is well with the 2000 or so members of my family.

I have a theory. Sometimes when I am working I have added a spouse by clicking on the blank marriage box between the couples. It brings up a screen with the marriage status as Unmarried but no place to type Date or Place. But not looking at the screen while copying from my source, I start typing a date. Then I look up to see that there is no field to type in, so I change the status to Married. At that point there are numbers in the date field, or possibly the place field, I can't recall--I don't want to try to recreate the problem--but that is my recollection.

Thanks,
    David
    Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
    in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.
Working...
X