Revisiting earlier Reunion programs beginning with Version 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisiting earlier Reunion programs beginning with Version 2

I have all the Reunion program disks and downloads beginning with the Hypercard versions 2 and 3. Recently I have been dabbling in retro computing with my ancient Powerbook 540c purchased new in 1994. Because of many dead pixels on the 540c screen, I connected it to a 32 inch LCD HD TV via a VGA cable and ViewSonic adapter Using the big screen is pretty cool, although the resolution is still 640x480. I can go a little higher if I use screen mirroring though.

All versions up to and including Reunion 6 work on the old Powerbook. The progress made when comparing the old and new versions is very interesting. I bought a Mac computer in 1991, a MAC LC, specifically for genealogy and bought Reunion 2 shortly after. I have continued to use it ever since, presently at Reunion 13 on an iMac and MacOS Ventura. Quite an improvement from System 7.5!

Using Reunion 2 and Reunion 3 now is tedious, but in 1991 seemed fast for genealogy work. I don’t have the manuals for these two (or I haven’t been able to find them). I was able to load a GEDCOM after trial and error. Importing a GEDCOM was a very slow process! I also had to deal with the quirks of Hypercard. The upgrade to Version 4 was a huge transformation from a programming stand point, although the interface was very similar to the Hypercard versions which made the transition very smooth I thought. Reunion 6 is the last version I was able to get onto the 540c. It is fun to use almost 30 year old computer hardware technology and ancient programs.

I can’t see much difference between Reunion versions 2 and 3. Does anyone know when they were introduced? Reunion 4 was replaced by Reunion 5 in late 1997 but I do not know when it was issued.
    Dan Kangley

I believe that, somewhere in my garage, I have both the disks and the manual for Reunion 3. I did find the attached intro (undated) release sheet and a MacConnection shipping receipt dated Dec 30, 1991. System 7 was released in May 1991; update to 7.1 was in October 1992. So, a good guess for version 3 is the later part of 1991.

Reunion3Intro.pdf
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Bob. Your estimate of Reunion 3 being released late in 1991 makes sense. I recall that I did not use Reunion 2 for very long and updated to 3 when it was made available. The Reunion 3 announcement sheet does highlight some of the improvements especially the relationship calculation and improved pedigree charts. I used version 3 when I made a genealogy compilation for family as gifts at Christmas 1993. And Reunion 4 was even better of course. Reunion 4 probably was released in July 1994 as noted on an addendum I just found in the manual.
      Dan Kangley

Comment

Interesting history! I'm contemplating upgrading from 9 to 13, but I've had issues before. even if I did manage to find my serial number, to launch the newer 13 from the 9, the old computer would need to be de-authorised to get the newer one to work fully? In which case you are forced to buy it from scratch if you want more than one, I only want the older one to work for as long as I need to move everything over. Big charts would be work and may not open the same?
        (VanessaJW) vanessa.jacynth@gmail.com

Comment

Click on the question mark (lower left) then click on the book icon which gives you the table of contents. The third item is titled Upgrading. I believe that will answer your questions.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

All worked brilliantly so far, big charts open fine, Reunion file opened fine, fonts came over...great! Phew! Thanks everyone.
            (VanessaJW) vanessa.jacynth@gmail.com

Comment

I finally dumped all my diskettes when I sold my house. I'm pretty sure I started with v1, I have some people I haven't touched since Dec 1989

Comment

Working...
              X