This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Family File screen Edit Person

Help please I have checked the program help but cannot find explanation - the bottom section of the My Family File in the Edit Person is "source citations:names" "box indicating document attached" then there is a box "Detail" and another "General" with tick boxes .
    I do not understand the use (type of data) of these last 2 (Detail and General)) and how these would affect any reports generated. Please could someone explain how they have used these and their benefits please before I make an error that will cause me a lot of time Also I have been tatting the same source e.g Census 1901 info in both the events section and name section for a person is this the right thing to do please hope someone can help cheers Jim Petty

Re: My Family File screen Edit Person

Originally posted by james petty View Post
    I do not understand the use [of] (Detail and General) and how these would affect any reports generated.
    The "Detail" area is for you to add details to the source citation. For example, you might give the page number if you were citing a book. You can find this in the manual if you search for "Using the Detail Field". Some people consider the 1910 Census a single source, and give details like the Enumeration District and page number in the detail field; others consider each page of a census a single source and attach an image to the source.

The "General" tick box is used to indicate that the source is a "general" one, applying to all the information about a person (including, say, name, birth, and death), rather than for a specific piece of data (like birth only). You can find more about this in the manual if you search for "What is a General Source".)

You can set whether the detail field is printed on reports under Report Preferences (you set whether Citation detail is [1] With Endnotes, [2] With Citations, or [3] Ignored.)
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: My Family File screen Edit Person

Dennis thanks so much you have been a great help Jim Petty

Comment

Working...
      X