This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Name Change

I have a relative who had his name legally changed by the court.

This is an unusual situation, which I just note, but I am curious if there is a standardized approach to handling this?

Re: Legal Name Change

Don't believe "there is a standardized approach to handling this".

What I do is last the list name as: Smith->Jones. (and, yes, I explain in notes)
    Last edited by SGilbert; 04 September 2014, 08:27 AM.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by wmconlon View Post
      ZThis is an unusual situation, which I just note, but I am curious if there is a standardized approach to handling this?
      As SGilbert says, no standard technique (but I'd say it's not really an unusual situation either).

I usually enter the birth name, unless the later name is so famous that that's the one I'd look up the person under (say, Cary Grant rather than Archibald Alexander Leach).

But except in those circumstances, I generally give some indication of the name change within the Last and FIrst name fields, and explain more fully in a note.

Examples:
      First: William
      Last: Alexander-Shaw, later Alexander
      Note: dropped the name Shaw by royal licence 17 June 1876.

First: James Lewis
      Last: Macie, later Smithson
      Note: His mother died leaving a will requesting he change his name to Smithson, that of the Duke of Northumberland, who had fathered him. He announced his change of name to Smithson, his father's, in the London Gazette of 16 February 1801.

First: George
      Last: Pretyman, later Pretyman-Tomline
      Note: changed his name after inheriting an estate at Riby in Lincolnshire from Marmaduke Tomline, quite unexpectedly as they had met only a handful of times.

First: Tessa
      Last: Ralli, later Titterton
      Note: adopted by her stepfather, whose surname she took in 1954

First: John
      Last: Lyon, later Bowes
      Note: Lyon became Bowes-Lyon as a condition for inheriting the wealth of George Bowes, a Durham industrialist whose daughter he married.

First: Edward
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by wmconlon View Post
        I have a relative who had his name legally changed by the court.....
        This is an unusual situation, which I just note, but I am curious if there is a standardized approach to handling this?
        Not at all unusual. Anyway, I have a consistent way (as opposed to a standard).

I make the current/last legal name the main name entered in Reunion. And then I always begin the Notes section "Born John Doe" followed by, if appropriate, by any other name changes.

Example: Mary Pickford would start in my Notes as Born Gladys Louise Smith.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
        X