X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source field limitations

Hi

I'm trying to find out the limitations on the number of fields that a Source may have. I lost a few hours of creating sources. Using Reunion 10.0.6. I created a new source and then added fields to the source. When adding the fields to the source, in the source preferences window, it appears ok. But once you've closed the Source Preferences window it silently trims the fields in the source (Really not nice!). It appears that there is a silently enforced limit of 50 fields per source. Anyone know if this is true? Or have I found a bug, etc.?

I'll open a support ticket, was wondering if anyone had more info on this before support gets in on Monday.

FYI, I understand that 50 is/maybe a lot, but it's the way I've currently chosen.

UPDATE: I didn't find anything via Google, but did find it in the manual. Great docs! Now if the program would just generate an error or increase the limit.

Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by jsadler; 02 August 2014, 06:50 PM.

Re: Source field limitations

Originally posted by jsadler View Post
    Hi

I'm trying to find out the limitations on the number of fields that a Source may have. I lost a few hours of creating sources. Using Reunion 10.0.6. I created a new source and then added fields to the source. When adding the fields to the source, in the source preferences window, it appears ok. But once you've closed the Source Preferences window it silently trims the fields in the source (Really not nice!). It appears that there is a silently enforced limit of 50 fields per source. Anyone know if this is true? Or have I found a bug, etc.?

I'll open a support ticket, was wondering if anyone had more info on this before support gets in on Monday.

FYI, I understand that 50 is/maybe a lot, but it's the way I've currently chosen.

UPDATE: I didn't find anything via Google, but did find it in the manual. Great docs! Now if the program would just generate an error or increase the limit.

Thanks
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

Just go to Reunion help and enter "limitations".
    The limit of fields per source is 50.
    I've never come across a source which required more than 50 fields.
    Please share an example of such a source with us.

Best regards
    Reiner
    Last edited by Reiner L. Sauer; 04 August 2014, 07:00 PM.
    SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
    Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
    Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Hi Reiner

I use Reunion "Sources" to recreate the info in a document. Typically censuses. So I create the Source ie: 1830 census and a field for each column. In the case of the 1830 and 1840 cenuses there are more than 50 columns.

And yes I understand that this isn't likely to be the way others use Reunion sources.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jsadler View Post
        Hi Reiner
        I use Reunion "Sources" to recreate the info in a document. Typically censuses. So I create the Source ie: 1830 census and a field for each column. In the case of the 1830 and 1840 cenuses there are more than 50 columns.
        And yes I understand that this isn't likely to be the way others use Reunion sources.
        Jim
        Hi Jim,
        May be you consider the following mixed approach.
        Create structured fields for general source information (e.g. as per Elizabeth Shown Mills) as follows:
        - CENSUS ID
        - JURISDICTION
        - SCHEDULE
        - COPY ID
        - CIVIL DIVISION
        - PAGE
        - HOUSEHOLD
        - PERSON OF INTEREST
        - REPOSITORY
        - REPOSITORY LOCATION
        NEXT you could enter the 50 census-columns into the free format text area of the source, like this:
        [1col]: xxxxx, [2col]: xxxxx, [3col]: xxxxx ..... [49col]: xxxxx, [50col]: xxxxx

Best regards
        Reiner
        SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
        Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
        Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Working...
        X