This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA Charts

Is there a way to custom color Fan Charts one "cell" at a time? I can change the colors for generations but cannot find a way to color specific "cells". I can change the font color but not the background. I would like to customize my own Fan Chart with X-Chromosome options like this,

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - pb
    PB
    Family History researcher

Re: DNA Charts

Originally posted by pdburrow View Post
    Is there a way to custom color Fan Charts one "cell" at a time? I can change the colors for generations but cannot find a way to color specific "cells". I can change the font color but not the background. I would like to customize my own Fan Chart with X-Chromosome options like this,

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - pb
    Hi Patricia,

It is not possible to individually change the background color of the cells. However, you may want to consider making the background for all cells white. And, then, change the text color in individual cells. I.e., see the small sample attached.

Perhaps something like this would be workable for you:-)
    Attached Files
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      Hi Patricia,

It is not possible to individually change the background color of the cells. However, you may want to consider making the background for all cells white. And, then, change the text color in individual cells. I.e., see the small sample attached.

Perhaps something like this would be workable for you:-)
      While that is a helpful suggestion, it isn't a perfect solution because some cells may not have text to be colored. Having the background colored (even for empty cells) allows one to see which ancestors (known and unknown) might be the source of an X chromosome match.

Comment

Would be a nice feature to have.

This is a lot more work than you're probably looking for, but you can color in the cells using PhotoShop if you use the paint bucket to fill in the cells in the X-chromosome inheritance pattern. It may be possible to do something like this in other paint programs.

I have done it but it's a bit of a hassle. If you just copy and paste the graphic it comes across in a very low resolution. It's possible to bring the charts across in high resolution by exporting them to a PDF and then exporting the image out of the PDF. Here's an example - I hope I colored it in correctly!

Don
        Attached Files
        Last edited by donworth; 02 August 2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X