X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy and Paste

Hi all,

I am new to reunion having had a PC with PAF.
    In PAF I could copy information from a web page as text and paste it into the source citation box of the PAF equivalent
    In Reunion this does not seem possible. At least I haven't been able to do this.
    Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible.

Cheers Rikus Kaijer

Re: Copy and Paste

I do it often - just use the "free form" citation box.

Terri
    Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
    Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
      I do it often - just use the "free form" citation box.

Terri
      Caveat Emptor!!!

Just remember that there are two (2) types of free-form data containers within Reunion sources:

1) Free-form TEXT available with ALL types of sources, and
      2) Free-form Sources.

Both of these container boxes can be used for the purpose of holding your text, but only the free-form TEXT box should be used if you intend (or need) to transfer your data via GEDCOM protocols - free-form sources do NOT transfer well via GEDCOM. The reason is that the GEDCOM protocols were poorly designed, and implemented in some applications. Therefore, do not be surprised if you suffer data loss when using the "free-form Source" format for important information!

YMMV!
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Well, I didn't understand until today that there were two places to enter free form text. I've been using free form sources. I don't understand how it works to use free form text in other source types.
        Do you use one of the source templates, make some minimal entry, i.e. as to the type of vital record, and then past the full citation in the text box?
        I have decided for myself that I won't be using GEDCOM; I'm working to a specific purpose and then I'll be done. But I am curious about how things work.
        Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
        Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

With respect, there are not two places, or two

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Talibard;41712]With respect, there are not two places, or two
            Arnold
            -----

Comment

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
              Well, I didn't understand until today that there were two places to enter free form text. I've been using free form sources. I don't understand how it works to use free form text in other source types.
              Do you use one of the source templates, make some minimal entry, i.e. as to the type of vital record, and then past the full citation in the text box?
              I have decided for myself that I won't be using GEDCOM; I'm working to a specific purpose and then I'll be done. But I am curious about how things work.
              I use many different types of sources. I try to match the Reunion Source Type to fit the data in question. Fear not, your selection of the source type will improve with experience. Moreover, the learning curve is not steep. You may also wish to experiment with creating some of your own defined types. Reunion Source types are indeed powerful and truly adaptable to YOUR needs and wants.
              Arnold
              -----

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
                Caveat Emptor!!!

Just remember that there are two (2) types of free-form data containers within Reunion sources:

1) Free-form TEXT available with ALL types of sources, and
                2) Free-form Sources.

Both of these container boxes can be used for the purpose of holding your text, but only the free-form TEXT box should be used if you intend (or need) to transfer your data via GEDCOM protocols - free-form sources do NOT transfer well via GEDCOM. The reason is that the GEDCOM protocols were poorly designed, and implemented in some applications. Therefore, do not be surprised if you suffer data loss when using the "free-form Source" format for important information!

YMMV!
                Arnold,

I have never experienced the kind of trouble with free-form sources that you describe. In fact, I have found more problems sending structured sources through GEDCOM to other programs. I used to use structured sources, but frequently had lots of lost source data going to someone's Family Tree Maker program. I then switched to free-form for everything (copying over source citation data from Ancestry or FamilySearch, for example), and have not had any trouble since then.

After I read your posting, I decided to test your statement by exporting a small set of people with their free-form sources. I then checked the GEDCOM data and found it had the proper TEXT and CONC tags that the GEDCOM standard provides. When I imported it back into Reunion, it came back in fine. I then tried it with Mac Family Tree -- also fine.

I suspect the problems you have encountered have more to do with the implementation of GEDCOM rules in other programs than it does with the free-form source format.

Just my two cents...
                Last edited by Deb; 04 August 2014, 08:05 AM.
                Mike Phelps
                Goodyear, AZ
                Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Comment

Originally posted by mwphelps View Post
                  Arnold,

I have never experienced the kind of trouble with free-form sources that you describe. In fact, I have found more problems sending structured sources through GEDCOM to other programs. I used to use structured sources, but frequently had lots of lost source data going to someone's Family Tree Maker program. I then switched to free-form for everything (copying over source citation data from Ancestry or FamilySearch, for example), and have not had any trouble since then.

After I read your posting, I decided to test your statement by exporting a small set of people with their free-form sources. I then checked the GEDCOM data and found it had the proper TEXT and CONC tags that the GEDCOM standard provides. When I imported it back into Reunion, it came back in fine. I then tried it with Mac Family Tree -- also fine.

I suspect the problems you have encountered have more to do with the implementation of GEDCOM rules in other programs than it does with the free-form source format.

Just my two cents...
                  Knowing the quality of the programming from Leister folks, it does not surprise me to find that a GEDCOM export from Reunion and re-importation into Reunion retains all of the original data. That said, the comment still stands when transferring data across DIFFERENT applications -- especially across platforms (ie: Windows based programs.) The problem, from all I have read and seen, is that many of the PC applications were poorly implemented and did not conform to the GEDCOM v5.5 protocols very well. FWIW, from what I have experienced, the problem is that certain PC applications (PAF, in particular) were notorious for screwing up and losing important data. Of course, newer verions of those same programs are probably much better at importing GEDCOMs than in the [not so distant] past.
                  Arnold
                  -----

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
                    The problem, from all I have read and seen, is that many of the PC applications were poorly implemented and did not conform to the GEDCOM v5.5 protocols very well. FWIW, from what I have experienced, the problem is that certain PC applications (PAF, in particular) were notorious for screwing up and losing important data. Of course, newer verions of those same programs are probably much better at importing GEDCOMs than in the [not so distant] past.
                    From all I have read the problem was that the GEDCOM standards were flawed from the get go, at least partly because they were unclear.

I doubt that any of the programs have become better. (Is PAF even being updated?)
                    Mary Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Arthur View Post
                      From all I have read the problem was that the GEDCOM standards were flawed from the get go, at least partly because they were unclear.

I doubt that any of the programs have become better. (Is PAF even being updated?)
                      Yes, the GEDCOM protocols were badly flawed from the very beginning (and still are); especially so when dealing with notes and sources!

As for PAF, it has been more than 6 months since the FINAL update and the developer has abandoned all future updates for it. In short, PAF is a DEAD TURKEY!
                      Arnold
                      -----

Comment

Working...
                      X