This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cascading Pedigree

I would like to make a Cascading Pedigree chart for a family in my tree. I have a separate file of the family and can simply put everyone in the chart. However, there are two brothers at the beginning of the chart and I can't figure out how to get both brothers on the chart. What good would it be to send the chart to the family with one person missing, especially as he is alive and would most likely see the chart and want to know why he was left out.
    Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Re: Cascading Pedigree

I think any solution to this challenge would be a workaround, but my approach would to be to save the pedigree for one brother, and then edit his box in a PDF editing application. You'd have to sacrifice some of his data, but you could replace it with his brother. That way you'd have one box with two people, and all their ancestors.

The Apple App Store has some options, but if you'd like I can make that small edit for you if you send me the PDF.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

I sort of took your advice. I opened the .pdf with Preview (It ain't Photo Shop) and used the Annotate function to add a text box, made the font as close as I could get it and pasted it right next to his brother. Looks OK to me. Thanks for getting me "thinking out of the box".

Phil

Comment

I love brainstorming... it never occurred to me to use Preview that way. Well done!
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
          I love brainstorming... it never occurred to me to use Preview that way. Well done!
          I keep finding ways to use Preview that I never thought of before! When printing PDFs, I prefer to open the PDF in Preview, rather than Adobe Reader, because it allows me to make use of OS Xs Print and PDF features that Adobe doesn't have. Now, if I could just figure out how to have them open in Preview automatically, rather than dragging them to the Preview icon. Anyone know a way that I've missed?
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
            ...if I could just figure out how to have [.pdf files] open in Preview automatically, rather than dragging them to the Preview icon...
            If you highlight any .pdf file in the Finder, and do a "get info" on it (press command-I while it's highlighted) you should be able to use the pulldown menu in the info box to change "Open with" to "Preview", then press the "Change All
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

[QUOTE=Dennis J. Cunniff;41087]If you highlight any .pdf file in the Finder, and do a "get info" on it (press command-I while it's highlighted) you should be able to use the pulldown menu in the info box to change "Open with" to "Preview", then press the "Change All
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I keep finding ways to use Preview that I never thought of before! When printing PDFs, I prefer to open the PDF in Preview, rather than Adobe Reader, because it allows me to make use of OS Xs Print and PDF features
                Can you clear for me what you mean by "OS Xs Print and PDF features" Where do I find info on this?
                Delbert Curlin
                Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
                Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
                  Can you clear for me what you mean by "OS Xs Print and PDF features" Where do I find info on this?
                  He may be referring to the feature in Mac OS X that allows you to save documents or just about anything in .pdf.

Select any document, and then select Print from the Edit menu. When the dialog box opens, in the lower left hand corner it says PDF. Open that and select Save as PDF or whatever you want to do. Great little tool that I use constantly.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Comment

I keep finding ways to use Preview that I never thought of before! When printing PDFs, I prefer to open the PDF in Preview, rather than Adobe Reader, because it allows me to make use of OS Xs Print and PDF features that Adobe doesn't have. Now, if I could just figure out how to have them open in Preview automatically, rather than dragging them to the Preview icon. Anyone know a way that I've missed?
                    Have you selected Print from the Edit menu, selected PDF and then Open PDF in Preview?

Saves steps.

Philip
                    Last edited by Deb; 26 April 2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Drugge View Post
                      I sort of took your advice. I opened the .pdf with Preview (It ain't Photo Shop) and used the Annotate function to add a text box, made the font as close as I could get it and pasted it right next to his brother. Looks OK to me. Thanks for getting me "thinking out of the box".

Phil
                      I always open my pdf's in 'Preview' but I never knew you could do this! Thank-you!
                      Last edited by Deb; 05 May 2014, 10:17 AM.
                      I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                      Using Reunion 10
                      Safari

Comment

Working...
                      X