This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gedcom and sources

Recent buyer of Reunion 10. Been away from genealogy since Ancestral Quest ver 1.5. 20 years? So I exported various family groups as gedcoms and created new Reunion family files and imported. Simple enough but not without questions about "sources".

All my sources, e.g. census, marriage, death etc.- are in the "Notes" area for each individual. It works but I'm not using the full potential of Reunion. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Rupert in the "Best Practices" thread says to create the source first before entering the name. Well, I'm too late for that.

I noticed in one small file of 58 individuals I rec'd from a relative that all their sources are of the "Free Form" type. But they're 58 sources, most of which are the same entry - Family Bible. That doesn't appear very useful.

In the meantime back to the tutorial and practicing on dummy files.

Re: Gedcom and sources

TX, I guess what you will do will depend on how many names are involved, but I would suggest making proper sources, using Reunion's facility for this and not the Notes. I would also not use the Free Form format, in case you ever wish to export the file as a gedcom in future. Easy for me to say this and probably far harder to do, I realise that.

The process can be speeded up by copying and pasting and duplicating a source, before giving it the correct number. Its a faff , no doubt, but I think the long term benefits will make up for the short term inconvenience.

If it's any consolation, I did something similar when I reorganised many of my sources years ago. I had initially entered them crudely, with sources saying things like , "internet Search", or "Parish records", but with no detail. I went back and re entered some four or five hundred sources , and have never regretted that process.

The 58 "Family bible" sources give you an ideal starting point where you can try the process. Enter a source, say Family Bible, and then cite that source for all the relevant people. You can add detail where its involved such as , "Page XX," or "Handwritten note inside front cover" or whatever. Reunion is very good where you have multiple people referenced by the same source, as linking that same source to many people is quick and easy.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.
    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Working...
    X