This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlighting Text

Can anyone suggest how to highlight lines of text in documents; for example, highlighting the line(s) on a census document pertaining to a particular person or family. I currently save all documents as PDFs. Also, does anyone know if there are plans to allow PDFs to show up as thumbnails in future versions of Reunion. And last, can anyone point me to the place where the "wish list" is located?

Re: Highlighting Text

Originally posted by Lora D View Post
    Can anyone suggest how to highlight lines of text in documents; for example, highlighting the line(s) on a census document pertaining to a particular person or family. I currently save all documents as PDFs. Also, does anyone know if there are plans to allow PDFs to show up as thumbnails in future versions of Reunion. And last, can anyone point me to the place where the "wish list" is located?
    Open the PDF in Apple's Preview app. If it's not in your DOCK, look for it in the Applications folder. There are tools in the top menu bar of the Preview app that will allow you to highlight or put colored boxes around the census lines. You may have to click on the pencil icon next to the search bar to have the edit menu come up.

Hope this works for you!
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

...does anyone know if there are plans to allow PDFs to show up as thumbnails in future versions of Reunion.
      Yes.
      ...can anyone point me to the place where the "wish list" is located?
      Go back to http://www.reuniontalk.com and look for the 8th item in the list: "Wish List"
      Frank Leister
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, kmgenealogy. Just can't get Preview to highlight a few lines of the census document no matter what I try. Even downloaded Adobe Reader for mac and tried to use that instead of Preview--can't make Adobe Reader highlight either. So frustrating! I guess I'll have to make a journey to the Apple store.

Comment

Frank, thanks for pointing me to the wish list. Don't know how I missed seeing it. I so appreciate all the help on this forum. And by the way--LOVE Reunion! A truly great program.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, kmgenealogy. Just can't get Preview to highlight a few lines of the census document no matter what I try. Even downloaded Adobe Reader for mac and tried to use that instead of Preview--can't make Adobe Reader highlight either. So frustrating! I guess I'll have to make a journey to the Apple store.
            My apologies. I couldn't highlight a section either. Think I was thinking of the app PDFPen which I have.

However, in Preview, you can outline a section of the PDF to show a family using Preview. I do this a lot, rather than highlighting. See my attached. Once you open up the edit menu bar, click on the solid rectangle, choose color, leave the next box with diagonal line alone, choose line size and drag across the area you want to outline.

Hope this is something you can use instead of highlighting.
            Attached Files
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

......... Just can't get Preview to highlight a few lines of the census document no matter what I try. Even downloaded Adobe Reader for mac .......
              That is because in either case they are text highlighters and what you are wanting to highlight is a graphic.

If you have a graphics program, an alternative is to draw a color filled rectangle, like Kaye's rectangle, and then bring down the opacity of the fill to make the underlying area visible and choose "no border" unless you want a line around it.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Oh, I understand now why the highlight tool wasn't working. Thanks Kaye & Bob for the clarification and the alternate suggestion. You saved me a long trip to the Apple store.

Comment

Working...
                X