This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FamilySearch

Does anyone know if Reunion has plans to become tree share certified with FamilySearch?

Thanks,
    Linda

Re: FamilySearch

Leister Productions is very much like Apple in one respect. They do not announce plans. They only announce products when ready and not before. The answer to your question is: Only Leister staff knows and they ain't talking.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Linda1710 View Post
      Does anyone know if Reunion has plans to become tree share certified with FamilySearch?
      It is no longer in our plans to become FamilySearch certified.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Oh, wow, I'm so disappointed to hear that. I've been hanging on for years waiting patiently for the announcement, and now the announcement is here but it's certainly not what I expected or hoped for.

Comment

What is FamilySearch?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            It is no longer in our plans to become FamilySearch certified.
            Unfortunate. That's *one* of the reasons I bought into Reunion 10, hoping it would. If my purchase wasn't so long ago I'd see about requesting a refund.

Heavy sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy G Chesnutt View Post
              What is FamilySearch?
              FamilySearch is an online database of genealogy information, somewhat like Ancestry.com, that is run by the LDS Church. You can find more details here.

I should mention that it was originally our intent to release FamilySearch integration with 10; we even had it in the beta test before release. However, problems arose with getting our integration certified and, as a result, it was determined that pulling the integration was the best option.

The decision wasn't made lightly, and we understand why some users are disappointed.

Note that you can still search the FamilySearch database via Reunion 10's web search feature. What you can't do is connect to the FamilySearch FamilyTree service from within Reunion 10.
              Last edited by Mark; 03 April 2014, 12:54 PM.
              Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                FamilySearch is an online database of genealogy information, somewhat like Ancestry.com, that is run by the LDS Church. You can find more details here.

I should mention that it was originally our intent to release FamilySearch integration with 10; we even had it in the beta test before release. However, problems arose with getting our integration certified and, as a result, it was determined that pulling the integration was the best option.

The decision wasn't made lightly, and we understand why some users are disappointed.

Note that you can still search the FamilySearch database via Reunion 10's web search feature. What you can't do is connect to the FamilySearch FamilyTree service from within Reunion 10.
                I have a different take on the issue. I have a 57,000 person database, all are related or neighbors to family, and have written 8 family history books. I have retyped every entry, whether B/M/D and Notes in my own style ..... or copied/pasted a long Note into Reunion and reordered it to fit my style. I have never entered a GEDCOM directly.

So I would never GEDCOM from ancestry.com, familysearch or even colleagues. Here I would open another database and print out either a Register(s) or Ahnentafel and re-enter the data in my style and with my rules.

Why? I have my own style, my own rules of presentation, my own sequencing of data and have yet to find another with the same rules. This means I want my final output - a book -
                to be consistent between chapters and between persons. To do otherwise, that is to permit a variety of styles, would be highly distracting to the reader.

Reunion techniques such as short-cut Place names and others make the work easier, and once you can type fast with two fingers, isn't tough at all.

Comment

I have to say that I am very disappointed that Leister has decided not to pursue integration with FamilySearch. I have held out the hope that they would for several years. The value of integration for LDS Reunion users cannot be overstated. Apparently we are too small a demographic for Leister to care about.

Too bad. I have been an ardent supporter of Reunion for many years, but this news has changed all of that. If and when RootsMagic develops a Mac version, I will make the change for this one reason only.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren White View Post
                    Apparently we are too small a demographic for Leister to care about.
                    That's not the issue. We prefer not to publicly discuss the specific reasons for not integrating, but it has nothing to do with "not caring" about our users.
                    Last edited by Mark; 04 April 2014, 10:17 AM.
                    Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Warren White View Post
                      Apparently we are too small a demographic for Leister to care about.
                      I have been a Reunion user since ver.4 and I find that Leister cares very much for its users. You won't find any other company that cares nearly as much for its customers. This forum, with Mark contributing, is one example.

I also agree with Charles Bourland - I never copy gedcoms into my file as I too strive for consistency in my file.
                      Don Smith
                      Peachland, BC, Canada
                      http://www.truber.ca
                      don@truber.ca
                      21.5-Inch iMac OSX 10.9.1

Comment

Hear, hear!

Comment

I apologize for the words I used in my earlier post. I have always been impressed with Leister and their commitment to customers.

However, I stand by my disappointment and my comment that the importance of this decision has a major effect on the LDS users of Reunion.

Again, my apologies for an outburst that could have been better worded.

Comment

You can access FamilySearch from Reunion 10.

I for one, do not and will not put my research on FamilySearch in their very public database. Why? ANYONE may access your tree, alter and change the data. If you are a careful, diligent researcher, having someone else re-write your work makes no sense. This as I understand it, may be done without your knowledge. You may be notified that changes have been made, then it will be up to you to make corrections!!!

In a conversation with someone at FS, I was told that such changing of one's data is not at unusual!!
                            Bonnie Samuel
                            Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Bonnie says, "I for one, do not and will not put my research on FamilySearch in their very public database. Why? ANYONE may access your tree, alter and change the data."

May I add that anyone can also benefit from your data? I have anxiously waited for FamilySearch compatibility, and have often seen on this forum, this type of negative post about FamilySearch. Today I'd like to respond to this negative view.

I have helped many beginning genealogists, and know they frustrate careful researchers when they change things to match what Grandma told them. I also want to go on record saying how grateful they are and how happy when their family tree intersects the generations of work done by people like Bonnie. I hope that Bonnie will upload her careful research to at least one, if not all, of the large public sites so that others can benefit from her work. The number of people you may help is huge. My wife and I attended a Mayflower Compact dinner a few years ago. I was amazed that they estimated there are 20 million people in North America descended from the 30+ Mayflower families that have living descendants. I have enjoyed emails, phone calls and even visits, with previously unknown relatives in the UK and Argentina who contacted me because I had submitted common great grandparents to FamilySearch.

I have been using Reunion since about version 7 and patiently waited for Reunion to sync with FamilySearch. As the years have gone by I have become less and less hopeful that it would happen.
                              It is nice to finally have a definite answer, even though I would have preferred a yes to the no we have received. I have about 1000 ancestors whom I have found that I have been waiting to share on FamilyTree when the sync arrives. I guess I will have to find another program for my future research and to make it easier for me to track which temple ordinances have been done for my ancestors. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, inability to ever sync with FamilyTree is a deal breaker. This integration is essential to why I do genealogy research.

I'm guessing that this decision has taken so long, that there's no chance of a reversal of this decision, but I can hope!
                              Last edited by JimRedd; 13 April 2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: expressing hope for a reversal and the benefits to others of finding what I have researched.

Comment

Working...
                              X