This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot send my reports to Pages

I would like to send my reports to Pages and I get an error message that I can't do that. My report cannot be handled because Pages cannot open files in rich-text (RTF) format. Is there a way to change the format? I've seen wonderful things people are doing in Pages with their Reunion reports - what am I missing?
    Thanks. Terri
    Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
    Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Re: Cannot send my reports to Pages

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
    I would like to send my reports to Pages and I get an error message that I can't do that. My report cannot be handled because Pages cannot open files in rich-text (RTF) format. Is there a way to change the format?
    The problem is that older version of Pages could read RTF files, but in the latest update Apple removed that ability. If you want to use Pages, you have to use an older version.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      The problem is that older version of Pages could read RTF files, but in the latest update Apple removed that ability. If you want to use Pages, you have to use an older version.
      I still have an old copy of Pages, but cannot figure out how to indicate that one.
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Medlar View Post
        I still have an old copy of Pages, but cannot figure out how to indicate that one.
        I knew there had been former threads on this, but I didn't pay close attention (because I don't use Pages), and I had trouble at first locating it, but see if this answer is useful.

Essentially, you need to use "preferences" to set the old version of Pages as your word processor.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks. This works.
          Terry

Comment

For those readers who can't read between the lines, so to speak, when the Mavericks version of Pages, Numbers and Keynote get installed, the installer creates a folder iWork '09 in the Applications folder and moves the old version of all three into that folder.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              For those readers who can't read between the lines, so to speak, when the Mavericks version of Pages, Numbers and Keynote get installed, the installer creates a folder iWork '09 in the Applications folder and moves the old version of all three into that folder.
              If you're like me, you bought iWork '09 once upon a time and installed it from media, which resulted in it getting installed in a folder named "iWork '09" inside the Applications folder. I haven't yet moved to Mavericks or attempted to get the newer iWork applications, but where would it put them now, Bob?
              Montgomery, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Steve W. Jackson View Post
                If you're like me, you bought iWork '09 once upon a time and installed it from media, which resulted in it getting installed in a folder named "iWork '09" inside the Applications folder. I haven't yet moved to Mavericks or attempted to get the newer iWork applications, but where would it put them now, Bob?
                The iWork folder is still in applications and the new Pages is not in a folder. You may then use either the old or the new.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve W. Jackson View Post
                  ........ I haven't yet moved to Mavericks or attempted to get the newer iWork applications, but where would it put them now, Bob?
                  If you already have '09, the new installer just leaves the '09 versions right where they are. If you do not have the older version at all, the installer installs both '09 and the current version (in a iWork '09 folder created on the fly). At least, that is my understanding.

Comment

If you have a new mac then only new version will be loaded. Save report as text file, then copy and paste into Pages.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Researcher View Post
                      If you have a new mac then only new version will be loaded. Save report as text file, then copy and paste into Pages.
                      Nope. New install gets both as described above.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                        If you already have '09, the new installer just leaves the '09 versions right where they are. If you do not have the older version at all, the installer installs both '09 and the current version (in a iWork '09 folder created on the fly). At least, that is my understanding.
                        Bob is correct. I am using both.
                        Terry

Comment

I have the same question. Whether I save my reports to Pages or as Text Files, they all come out with .rtf extensions and can't be opened on my 1st ever iMac. Very disappointing. I haven't figured out how to even view the reports on screen yet either.

I am using Mavericks on iMac purchased in January, with Reunion 10. Constructive advice welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Park View Post
                            I have the same question. Whether I save my reports to Pages or as Text Files, they all come out with .rtf extensions and can't be opened on my 1st ever iMac. Very disappointing. I haven't figured out how to even view the reports on screen yet either.

I am using Mavericks on iMac purchased in January, with Reunion 10. Constructive advice welcome!
                            Hi Susan...welcome! Hopefully, someone here can help you.

You can go into Reunion Preferences>Reports>Word Processor & choose Text Edit. That will open up your files but they will still be in rtf format. You can Print>go down to PDF button on bottom left and Save as PDF. Or, as TX Researcher mentioned earlier, you can copy the text from the open Text Edit file and then paste it into your Pages app.

Another option is to download the free OpenOffice or LibreOffice suites. Their word processors will open the .rtf format. You can "aim" the reports preference to that suite.

Also, if someone here can't recommend how you can get the old Pages 09 (which will open the .rtf format) for this, you can still buy the iWorks 09 boxed DVD set at Amazon for $26.99 & no shipping if you have the Prime service. The iWorks includes Pages 09, Numbers 09 & Keynote 09.

Hope this helps. However, I'm sure someone here can help you get the old 09 Pages.
                            Last edited by kmgenealogy; 06 April 2014, 06:28 AM.
                            Kaye Mushalik
                            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Thanks, Kaye, but wow, what a lot of work just to see a preview of what the report might look like! I tried the text editor last night and it only shows up as a tiny little box in the middle of the screen. I was able to make the letters bigger but the box size stayed the same. I have used many different DOS (those are really old) and Windows programs for genealogy since the late 1980s. Previewing and printing a standard genealogy report shouldn't be that hard. For now, I'm sticking with Reunion and will gain fluency in Apple, but I can't tell you how truly disappointing this "feature" is. How do the rest of you preview or print Register reports?

Comment

Working...
                              X