X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of unrelated persons

Bonjour from Paris,

Is there a way to list all the unrelated persons of my file ?

Thanks for your help
    Jean-Michel SAINT GIRONS, Paris, France

Re: List of unrelated persons

Sorry I don't have an answer but I am interested to see what the answer is... Hello from Thurmont, Maryland!
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by SAINT GIRONS View Post
      Bonjour from Paris,

Is there a way to list all the unrelated persons of my file ?

Thanks for your help
      In Reunion 10, go to left sidebar and select Relatives. At the top of the right sidebar, click the "Change" button. In the drop-down window, make sure the "Current Source Person" identifies you (assuming you're wanting persons unrelated to you). When that is the case, click on "Identify."

At the top of the list provided, click the checkmark to "mark" everyone in the list.

Now, in the left sidebar, go to "Find." The first selection in the "Presets" is "Marked." Select that. Now under "Conditions," you will see a bar saying "Person Marked" and a choice which will probably default to "Yes." Click on that "Yes" bar and move it to "No."

Now click on the "Find" button in the window, and the resulting list will be all the un-marked and thus un-related people in your file.

Hope this helps.
      John Bastin
      jbastin1@me.com
      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
        In Reunion 10, go to left sidebar and select Relatives. At the top of the right sidebar, click the "Change" button. In the drop-down window, make sure the "Current Source Person" identifies you (assuming you're wanting persons unrelated to you). When that is the case, click on "Identify."

At the top of the list provided, click the checkmark to "mark" everyone in the list.

Now, in the left sidebar, go to "Find." The first selection in the "Presets" is "Marked." Select that. Now under "Conditions," you will see a bar saying "Person Marked" and a choice which will probably default to "Yes." Click on that "Yes" bar and move it to "No."

Now click on the "Find" button in the window, and the resulting list will be all the un-marked and thus un-related people in your file.

Hope this helps.
        Thanks John, but I meant something else.

When you go to edit, you can "add unrelated person". I am looking for the list of those persons with no links at all with the persons in my family file, hoping that one day I will find a link.

Sorry not to have been clear in my first question.

Many thanks

Comment

This is not difficult, perhaps you mean this:
          Go to Find (navigation column) Then you see a new window with (at the left side) 'Presets'
          Choose 'Unlinked People', click on button Find
          In the right column you see the results of this Find
          You can mark them, give them a flag etc
          Frans van Bodegom
          Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
            This is not difficult, perhaps you mean this:
            Go to Find (navigation column) Then you see a new window with (at the left side) 'Presets'
            Choose 'Unlinked People', click on button Find
            In the right column you see the results of this Find
            You can mark them, give them a flag etc
            Thanks for those trying to help, but I believe I have the same question as Jean-Michel and neither of the two suggested procedures solve the problem. I tried the above, but the mandatory conditions for finding these supposed "Unlinked People" are completely mysterious to me. (You have to provide conditions for # of Spouses, # of Children and # of Parent Cards. If you try to delete the conditions for # of Children or # of Parent Cards, you lose the entire Preset for "Unlinked People".) I tried the Unlinked People thing in various ways and it did NOT identify, for example, a family group I have that is not connected to my tree, but eventually maybe it will be.

I think that is what Jean-Michel and I are asking for: a way to identify "strays" that we have not previously flagged as strays with a special flag. This could be an individual, a family or (like I have) a two-to-? generation descendant string that MIGHT be connected to your tree, but you haven't been able to connect it yet.

I have a "stray" flag but have not been good about going to that tab and checking it off it for every stray in my database. If I'm understanding that what Jean-Michel wants is the same as my question, it is: is there a semi-automated way to find strays that we have not already marked as strays?

Susan
            P.S. Hello to Paris, the most beautiful city anywhere. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
              Thanks for those trying to help, but I believe I have the same question as Jean-Michel and neither of the two suggested procedures solve the problem. I tried the above, but the mandatory conditions for finding these supposed "Unlinked People" are completely mysterious to me. (You have to provide conditions for # of Spouses, # of Children and # of Parent Cards. If you try to delete the conditions for # of Children or # of Parent Cards, you lose the entire Preset for "Unlinked People".) I tried the Unlinked People thing in various ways and it did NOT identify, for example, a family group I have that is not connected to my tree, but eventually maybe it will be.
              I just tried this method of finding unlinked people, and it worked fine for me. Yes, you have # of Spouses, # of Children and # of Parent Cards, but all of them default to 0 (zero), which is what you want.

When I did it, I came up with 9 unlinked persons in my file of 1872 people, and 6 of those were on the Clipboard, which was not unexpected.

Try it, I think you'll find you'll get the result you want if you truly want just unlinked people. It will not, though, find your unlinked family group (because a family group is, after all, linked to each other).

Hope this helps.
              John Bastin
              jbastin1@me.com
              Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
              Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

The following method will take a while (in my case about an hour) but it seems to work. Others may well be able to suggest a better solution.

You want to get every person in your file either marked (which for the duration of this process is used to mean ‘part of the mainland’) or else flagged as Unlinked, an ‘island’. So make an Unlinked Flag; and make a Find Preset as follows: Person-marked-No And Unlinked-Checked-No. Call this ‘Neither’.

At point 4 below, start with obvious people, such as your in-laws, etc.

1. Mark yourself
                2. From yourself, find relatives, mark them.
                3. Find ‘Neither’
                4. Pick anybody from this found list (Person A - but that’s only in your mind), go to their card.
                5a. From Person A, navigate up, down, sideways until you find a marked person (Person B)
                6a. From Person B, find relatives, mark them.
                OR
                5b. if you cannot find any Person B (because this is an ‘island’) then
                6b. From Person A, find relatives, flag them Unlinked.
                7. Repeat steps 3, 4, 5, 6 until the Neither search results shrink to nothing.
                Last edited by Michael Talibard; 19 March 2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

There is an option in the Marking to "Mark everybody Linked to" a person.

So what you could do is Mark Everyone, and then Unmark everybody linked to You.

The remaining marked cards will be of people who are not at all linked to you by any kind of relationship or marriage.

Roger
                  Roger Moffat
                  http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                  http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Wow! That's certainly a lot quicker! So please ignore my previous post.

Comment

I confirm that Frans van Bodegom proposition was the easiest way for finding out all the persons with no links at all in my family file :
                      Go to Find (navigation column), then you see a new window with (at the left side) 'Presets'
                      Choose 'Unlinked People', click on button Find.
                      In the right column you see the results of this Find.

Many thanks to all of you for your interventions.

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
                        I just tried this method of finding unlinked people, and it worked fine for me. Yes, you have # of Spouses, # of Children and # of Parent Cards, but all of them default to 0 (zero), which is what you want............It will not, though, find your unlinked family group (because a family group is, after all, linked to each other).
                        THANKS, John. I had done it with the defaults and it DID find unlinked people, but just not enough of them, and the reason is because of your last sentence. It was not finding the islands of people linked to each other but not to my tree, and I didn't see the difference.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                        X