X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Images from Web Browser

Hi -

I'm a novice Reunion 9 user currently trying out the Reunion 10 Demo. I've been trying to drag and drop images from web browsers (I've used both Safari and Firefox) directly onto a person and into the multimedia sidebar. The image does not "drop" into place though it looks as though it is going to do so. (When dragging onto a person button, the button's outline appears but the image doesn't stick; when dragging into the multimedia sidebar, the plus sign appears, but the image doesn't appear in the window). I've also tried dragging a census image directly onto a source and into the source's multimedia pane; in both cases, the plus sign appears but the image does not. I have no problem with images that have been downloaded to my computer - it's only when I try to skip the intermediate step and drag from the browser itself that I have a problem.

Is this feature disabled in the demo? Or am I just doing something wrong? (I have a feeling I'm missing something basic

Re: Adding Images from Web Browser

Hi-I don't know if I can help you or not although I have been using Reunion for quite awhile. I just tried a little experiment... If you put the image on your desktop you should be able to drag it into Multimedia part of the person. I believe the tricky part is that in order for Reunion to keep this image assigned to a particular person the image has to be in a folder within the Reunion folder and you can't move the image once you put it there or Reunion loses track of it. At least that is what I know from my own experience but I hope that someone else chimes in to give you more information.
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula Breger View Post
      I've been trying to drag and drop images from web browsers (I've used both Safari and Firefox) directly onto a person and into the multimedia sidebar… the image doesn't stick… I have no problem with images that have been downloaded to my computer - it's only when I try to skip the intermediate step.
      Reunion does not copy or store these images (never has); it stores the path, so that it can retrieve the image when needed. You are asking it to retrieve images from the Internet each time, which it obviously can't do if you're not 'on line'. Better not to "skip the intermediate step" - better to keep the image in your computer, and drag it in from there. You can store them wherever you like: Reunion will know.

Having said that, I just tried it, and my direct-from-web image did 'stick'! Now I'm puzzled.
      Last edited by Michael Talibard; 09 March 2014, 04:30 AM.

Comment

When you drag a picture from a site in the web browser to a persons button (or the Multimedia list), then Reunion 10 copies the picture and puts the picture in a special folder: Reunion Pictures -> Imported Media. This feature is also present in the Demo version
        Those imported pictures get the name of the person.
        The path in the Reunion 10 familyfile is to this folder.
        You can place the imported pictures everywhere on your HD and even rename the pictures (in Reunion 10), without losing the linked picture.
        The checkmark FamilyView -> Show Pictures is enabled ?
        Last edited by Frank; 09 March 2014, 12:10 PM.
        Frans van Bodegom
        Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

[QUOTE=fjvanbodegom;40647]When you drag a picture from a site in the webbrowser

Comment

Neat! I didn't know this!!!

Comment

I'm completely puzzled. It works fine if I drag (or download) to my desktop and then drag onto the card or multimedia panel, but every time I try to drag directly from a web source (and I am going to the original sources, not just dragging from google images) it just "bounces" back.

I do have Family View/Show Preferred Pictures checked (that's the option under the little dropdown triangle in the left sidebar, unless you're referring to a different place to register this preference?).

Any other ideas? I appreciate all the help!
              Paula

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
                When you drag a picture from a site in the web browser to a persons button (or the Multimedia list), then Reunion 10 copies the picture and puts the picture in a special folder: Reunion Pictures -> Imported Media.
                It wasn't exactly clear in this message, but the "Reunion Pictures" folder will be found inside the "Pictures" folder in your home folder (the same folder that holds, among other things, your iPhoto Library).

Hope this helps.
                John Bastin
                jbastin1@me.com
                Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
                  It wasn't exactly clear in this message, but the "Reunion Pictures" folder will be found inside the "Pictures" folder in your home folder (the same folder that holds, among other things, your iPhoto Library).

Hope this helps.
                  Hmmm..... Inside the Pictures folder? Well, that's interesting.... Mine is in my Reunion folder in Documents.
                  Last edited by Deb; 13 March 2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
                    Hmmm..... Inside the Pictures folder? Well, that's interesting.... Mine is in my Reunion folder in Documents.
                    Maybe that's where it's supposed to be, or it was there originally; I've been using Reunion for genealogy since 1998, through several versions of the software and a number of versions of system software, maybe I moved it for some reason once upon a time...:-)

Sorry if my information was incorrect.
                    John Bastin
                    jbastin1@me.com
                    Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                    Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
                      Maybe that's where it's supposed to be, or it was there originally; I've been using Reunion for genealogy since 1998, through several versions of the software and a number of versions of system software, maybe I moved it for some reason once upon a time...:-)

Sorry if my information was incorrect.
                      By default, the Reunion Pictures folder is located inside Home/Pictures (in the manual, search for Reunion pictures folder, and then select What gets installed). But of course, as indicated in the manual, in Reunion 10, it does not really matters where the pictures are stored: Reunion can find them.
                      Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
                      http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
                      Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
                      MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
                      Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigue View Post
                        By default, the Reunion Pictures folder is located inside Home/Pictures (in the manual, search for Reunion pictures folder, and then select What gets installed). But of course, as indicated in the manual, in Reunion 10, it does not really matters where the pictures are stored: Reunion can find them.
                        Well, that is certainly good to know! Reunion has gotten SO smart. Smarter than me it appears. I guess I should read the manual.... ;-)
                        Last edited by Deb; 14 March 2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X