X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customizing Person View

Hello,
    I am brand new to Reunion and the Mac, but not new to genealogy software. (Have previously used PAF, Rootsmagic, and long ago-FTM).

I'd like to customize people in the family view to show "place of birth" under birth-death dates. For that matter, showing place of death would be helpful as well.

I created a new Event of "birthplace" but I think what I really want is for "place" under birthdate to show up in the Family View under an individual.

How do I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Customizing Person View

Click on Family View (top left) and then on Family View Preferences: you can control it all from there. As a matter of interest, why do you want place of birth underneath date of birth, as opposed to showing on the same line?

Comment

Well, I have checked out the preferences under Family View and I'm not getting how to include place of birth (and also death) in the Event list underneath the individual in Family View.

I'm using the Smart List Events & Facts as I prefer that layout. Currently it will show b-d dates; so I was wanting to add in birthplace and death underneath that.

I created a new Event of birthplace, but when I right click under Events to add that, it's a separate field that I have to fill in; yet the place is already filled in with the birthdate.

How do I get the birthplace that is already filled in to show up under the individual under Family View?

I really don't want to have to go back into my 1300 people to add a new category of birthplace when it's already filled in under birthdate.

Thanks for any help for this newbie!

Comment

Really want to help, but I'm struggling to understand or replicate your difficulty. Maybe it has partly to do with this: smartlists do not include fields that appear elsewhere in the same view (which makes sense—don't want to duplicate). I think many people start with a birth field (date and place), then maybe baptism; end with a death field (date and place), then maybe burial; and if they like smartlists, they get that to handle some (or all?) of what comes between. Are you wanting to put everything into a smartlist? I've never tried that.

Comment

If you've set up for "Inside the Couple Button" to show 'Birth & Death Dates' then remove that. Now click Add Field. Select Events, then Birth. On the right select Date, Place. There - done - you will get Birthdate and place shown. Now repeat for Death.

Comment

Incidentally, you shouldn't have created an event of birthplace. An Event is something that happens on a given date. A birthplace doesn't happen on a date - it is a Fact. A birth happens on a date, but a place doesn't. If you follow me. However the existing birth event allows you to enter the place where that event happens - so you did not need to add a new event at all.

Comment

Working...
            X