This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grave List & Flags

I have created a flag for all graves I have found & photographed. Is there a way in Reunion 10 to generate a list of the cemeteries people are buried in and include that flag?

In other words, when I go to a cemetery, I have a printed list of who (I currently know) is there and which ones I have found, so I know which NEW ones to look for... or didn't find previously.

It was possible in previous versions, but not 10.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John Dotson

Re: Grave List & Flags

Go to places sidebar
    Select the cemetery in question>click on usage button which appears below
    Mark all the people who are buried in that cemetery.
    Go to Find
    Enter Conditions
    In drop down select Attributes>Person Marked, tick this.
    And (make sure this is ticked)
    In drop down select Flags>tick the relevant one
    then Click on Find
    and by the magic of Leister, there's your answer.
    Check out your manual by searching the word "finding" without quotes.
    Honestly, this is the absolute best feature ever invented!!!
    If you want you can save it to a Preset if you're like me and tend to hang out in cemeteries often
    S
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by suzivegemite View Post
      Go to places sidebar
      Select the cemetery in question>click on usage button which appears below
      Mark all the people who are buried in that cemetery.
      Go to Find
      Enter Conditions
      In drop down select Attributes>Person Marked, tick this.
      And (make sure this is ticked)
      In drop down select Flags>tick the relevant one
      then Click on Find
      and by the magic of Leister, there's your answer.
      Check out your manual by searching the word "finding" without quotes.
      Honestly, this is the absolute best feature ever invented!!!
      If you want you can save it to a Preset if you're like me and tend to hang out in cemeteries often
      S
      Susi,

Thanks, I do hang out in cemeteries VERY often! One of these days I will go and not return...

The problem with the solution you offer is that it generates one cemetery at a time and it gives me a list that only shows one result. I have dozens and dozens of cemeteries and would like to be able to print out a cemetery(s) list, showing everyone I have a record of that is buried there and whether or not I have found the grave.

I guess in my initial explanation I said I wanted to include the flag I use, but I also want to be able to see the people in the cemetery not included in my "flagged" list.

I guess I could generate both lists for each cemetery, but that would be a huge amount of work. Even being able to select more than one cemetery at a time would be some help.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks so much!
      John Dotson

Comment

If you want a list of every person buried in any cemetery and whether or not you have a headstone pic for them, the only way I could get a satisfactory result was to make the flag into a custom fact so its visible in list view as flags aren't. This will be the time consuming bit, but you'll only have to do it once.

Then I did a find on all the burial places that contained the word cemetery (could do other names also i.e. memorial park etc). I marked the resulting list (out of habit) but it's not necessary.
        Using the results list I bought up list view and customised it to the following columns
        last name
        first name
        burial place
        fact - headstone pic

Then do a sort by burial place

It shows all the people buried in any cemetery, grouped together by cemetery location, and whether OR not they have a headstone pic.

Once its all set up (the flag to fact the hard bit) its quick to do then print the result. You'll need something easy to reproduce often as every time you update your tree your old list is obsolete.

If this doesn't get the desired result you need someone on a higher pay grade. I can think of a few, who are bound to have an elegant solution to your problem. I'm a newbie by Reunion standards.

S
        Last edited by suzivegemite; 25 February 2014, 10:02 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

Originally posted by buzdots View Post
          Susi,

Any further thoughts?

Thanks so much!
          If you still have Reunion 9 installed, the Places Report it provides is excellent for this and very flexible about what columns can be added. Much better than the new way of creating basically a spreadsheet. Creating Cemetery Lists for my 67,000+ person family file was by far my most common & useful report. I would created lists for each state and send to our family society reps there as we added burial info to folks found on Findagrave. I was shocked when the Places Report was removed in Reunion 10. I keep Reunion 9 installed and use it weekly to generate these reports, but it is a pain having to create a GEDCOM in R10 and import into a new, temporary R9 family file. But the report is worth the effort.
          Joe M. Oglesby
          http://MeriwetherSociety.org

Comment

Originally posted by jmo View Post
            If you still have Reunion 9 installed, the Places Report it provides is excellent for this and very flexible about what columns can be added. Much better than the new way of creating basically a spreadsheet. Creating Cemetery Lists for my 67,000+ person family file was by far my most common & useful report. I would created lists for each state and send to our family society reps there as we added burial info to folks found on Findagrave. I was shocked when the Places Report was removed in Reunion 10. I keep Reunion 9 installed and use it weekly to generate these reports, but it is a pain having to create a GEDCOM in R10 and import into a new, temporary R9 family file. But the report is worth the effort.
            Joe, Thanks so much for the tip!

In fact, I had reinstalled 9 to see if 10 was backwards compatible with no luck. I had not even thought of doing a GEDCOM to open in 9. Not a perfect solution, but maybe one that will work.

I am assuming the import is a straight-up import? I have never tried it. Tips?

Agreed, the lack of a customizable Places Report has almost made me abandon Reunion for work "in the field." I was doing exactly what you describe, over multiple states. I never left the house to do research without my "Book Of The Dead" as I called it.

I REALLY hope they bring it back...
            John Dotson

Comment

Buzdots-I think there's a way to do what you're looking for in Reunion 10:

- Go to Find and search on [Burial Place] [Is Not] [] (leave criteria blank - this should capture everybody with something in the Burial Place field)

- At the bottom of the results sidebar, click on the list button (orange rectangles)

- In the list window, you'll have a list of people who have Burial Place entries. You can add a couple of columns--or change existing columns by clicking on the arrows in the column header--one to Flags, one to Events->Burial Place. Clicking on the question mark in the lower left corner of this window will open the manual to the place where you can learn more about lists.

- You can sort the list on Burial Place by clicking on the header of that column. For what it's worth, clicking again will reverse sort it

- You now have a list of people, sorted by Burial Place, with a column showing which flags are set for them

- You can save/print the report by clicking the Share button at the bottom of the list window

(Hat tip to suzivegemite who already posted something very similar.)
              Last edited by ttl; 27 February 2014, 06:39 PM.
              Tim Lundin
              Heartland Family Graphics
              http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post

- Go to Find and search on [Burial Place] [Is Not] [] (leave criteria blank - this should capture everybody with something in the Burial Place field)

- At the bottom of the results sidebar, click on the list button (orange rectangles)

- In the list window, you'll have a list of people who have Burial Place entries. You can add a couple of columns--or change existing columns by clicking on the arrows in the column header--one to Flags, one to Events->Burial Place. Clicking on the question mark in the lower left corner of this window will open the manual to the place where you can learn more about lists.

- You can sort the list on Burial Place by clicking on the header of that column. For what it's worth, clicking again will reverse sort it

- You now have a list of people, sorted by Burial Place, with a column showing which flags are set for them

- You can save/print the report by clicking the Share button at the bottom of the list window

Tim, Thanks! I tried it and that may be a suitable work-around too. Saves having to export/import, but a fair amount of "clean-up" to get to a workable, one-line roster.

Far better than where I was! THANKS AGAIN!
                John Dotson

Comment

Glad it looks to have promise. Some more food for thought:

- You can save the default list format once you get the list the way you want. It might be easier in the long run to use a list that has a bare minimum of columns.

- When cleaning up the list in a word processor, it should be easy to move the tabs to get the columns optimized

- Consider doing a page setup in the word processor that is in landscape orientation rather than portrait. And perhaps choose 8-1/2 x 14 paper rather than letter size if your printer will handle it. Those two things will go a long way towards keeping entries on a single line.

Good luck!
                  Tim Lundin
                  Heartland Family Graphics
                  http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post

I knew someone would come up with a better result. Where I went wrong was in thinking buzdots needed to SORT by flag which you can't do.

(I remembered this because I assign one of four surname flags to each person in my tree. These names are my grandparents surnames. This is so I know which branch of the family someone belongs to, as it gets a bit confusing with more distant relations with the same or similar names. I wanted to sort by flag so I had a quick list of each family that always stayed up to date and made it easy to export one section of the family. I messaged tech support as I couldn't get it to work, they informed me I had to change my flags to facts if I wanted to sort by it. Hence my mindset when answering)

Thanks for the hat tip and to you, I bow

S

Comment

Suzi, Tim & Joe,

Thanks to each of you for giving my problem a shot - and coming up with some solutions.

I hope Reunion reconsiders putting back in the ability to do better custom reports... My2
                      John Dotson

Comment

Working...
                      X