This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying Multiple People from one Family File to Another

I have several Reunion family files and suddenly I find that the same person appears in two files.

How can I quickly copy him and his descendants / antecedents from one file to the other? Then possibly merge the two "same" person.

thanks

Bill

Re: Copying Multiple People from one Family File to Another

File >> Import >> Reunion Family File will get the entire family file imported. To import just a portion, in the "from" file, mark the appropriate people and create a GEDCOM that can be imported into the "to" file. Check the manual for details.

Actually, to save yourself extra work, heartbreak, frustration, etc..., you should import all of those "several family files" into one.
    Attached Files
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bill H View Post
      I have several Reunion family files and suddenly I find that the same person appears in two files.

How can I quickly copy him and his descendants / antecedents from one file to the other? Then possibly merge the two "same" person.

thanks

Bill
      Once both sets of data have been combined into one (Master) file, you should UNMARK ALL individuals and then MARK only the PERSON(S) you wish to combine. If there is only the one person (two sets of data), then there will be only one merge. If, on the other hand, you have a married couple, you should mark BOTH individuals -- thus producing two merges.

Once merged you will have to examine and possibly modify the list of events to reflect the most accurate sequence of events.

Also, BE SURE TO PORT ALL RELEVANT SOURCE MATERIAL into your master file. Once done, you will want to inspect those sources that carried over to the merged individual(s) and may wish to merge some of those as well!

Good luck!
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        File >> Import >> Reunion Family File will get the entire family file imported. To import just a portion, in the "from" file, mark the appropriate people and create a GEDCOM that can be imported into the "to" file...
        Rather than using GEDCOM to import a portion of another family file, I'd suggest marking the ancestors/descendants in the "from" file and then, in the "to" file, choose File > Import > Reunion Family File and select the "Marked people" option in the import window.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Wow! Need to study the manual some more. I did not know import/export of Family File could be selective like a normal database. Thank you.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Many thanks folks ..... it wasn't as difficult as i had anticipated!!!

Comment

Working...
            X